Image may contain: Roof, Castle, Building, Architecture

Meet the candidates running for Student Living Officer in the SU elections

Voting closes on Thursday

Ella Fraser, 3rd Social Policy

Image may contain: Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Poster, Person, People, Human

What makes you the best candidate for the role?

‘I have a lot of experience in the work environment. I took time out at university due to mental health, and worked with Mind. That experience gave me things that university doesn’t. I’m not intimidated by leadership teams. I have been a Senior Resident this year (New Bridewell), I have SR that is leading the welfare review. I want to ensure that the new welfare system doesn’t harm students.’

What part of your manifesto are you to most proud of?

‘I think particularly the mental health area. Having really struggled at university with continuing my academics and managing my mental health. A lot of stuff has been done already around mental health. I want provide something from that period so that people aren’t missing out on their studies for 12 weeks, I want to catch that before it happens.’

What is the biggest change you want to make to your role?

‘One of the most important things is that I don’t have all the answers. I want to consult with students on a regular basis. I want to have surgeries with students where they tell me their problems. My job is to represent people, so I need to be asking what they need.’

What is your favourite takeaway on a Bristol night out?

‘I would start the night with a take out from Five Guys, I’m a queen of lining my stomach before the night out.’

Vanessa Wilson, 3rd year Psychology

Image may contain: Sweater, Cardigan, Sleeve, Long Sleeve, Clothing, Person, People, Human

‘Having gone through a really difficult first and second year I know how lonely university can be when you don’t have good quality mental health services and housing. Coming into third year with that insight, I really feel like I have a wide perspective, that I can integrate within my role as an officer. Being a state-schooled woman of colour, born in Germany, raised London having a German mother and Jamaican father, I feel like I can empathise with a lot of people. Being a student living officer, you need to be able to identify with a diverse group of people. I want to Union to be a place where everyone feels represented and catered for.’

‘I’m most proud that the points of my manifesto link together. Wellbeing is the key priority, it is everything, your health, accommodation and living. It mentions improved housing, inclusive mental health services and integrated community care so that every student feels they belong to an inclusive and connected, integrated community.’

‘To increase student engagement with the SU. I feel like students don’t think their voice is important, I don’t think the representation of students within the SU is high. If I were to get into the role, I want students to feel they can come together and make effective change. I want students to feel like they have the power.’

‘First year – Taka Taka and Donveran’s, second year – Grecian in Stokes Croft, third year – the ASS library vending machines.’
No stress, vote Ness