Bristol University student in confirmed case of Meningitis

‘They are recovering well’

A Public Health England email was sent to all UoB students this afternoon, confirming that one of their peers, who was recently admitted to hospital, has been confirmed as having a Meningococcal Meningitis Group B (MenB) infection.

Fortunately, according to the email, the student is "recovering well and their discharge from hospital is being arranged" prior to their return home to their family "to continue their recovery."

Meningitis is a particular concern for students as they are believed to be at heightened risk owing to the fact they often mix closely with groups of unfamiliar people – some who may unknowingly carry the bug.

The email to all UoB students

The email to all UoB students

The email states that "following a risk assessment, it has been agreed that only those students who reside in the same accommodation block as the student should be offered an antibiotic to reduce the chances of the bacteria spreading" owing to the fact that they live in the same 'household'.

According to Mike Wade, Deputy Director of Health Protection: "Other people in the wider University of Bristol setting are not considered to be at increased risk of developing this disease so there is currently no need to take any specific action or change the university routine for students and staff."

The email does however urge students to be aware of the signs and symptoms of meningitis and septicaemia with early indications being akin to bad ‘flu’ symptoms whilst some teenagers can have atypical symptoms such as gastroenteritis or joint pain.