UBTV wins Best Broadcaster at the National Student TV Awards

The awards ceremony was held in Leeds this weekend

UBTV were awarded ‘Best Broadcaster’ at the National Student TV Awards this weekend. Sat among 43 other student led stations, they came out above the rest, grabbing the prestigious prize.

Stuart Murphy, Sky’s former entertainment chief who also launched BBC 3, was there to shake hands as the team walked on stage saying: “I thought it was just great. Great news, comedy, fantastic quality, range of styles. They seemed to take entertainment seriously, and felt it was firmly in the centre of student life on campus.

Bristol’s station is relatively new compared with other stations, being just short of four years old. However, their total view count has surpassed 1.5 million making it the UK’s fastest growing student led station. This is down to their broad creative output and some fairly risqué videos featuring students watching porn together and strangers kissing.

As well as receiving the reward for best overall station, they won the Highly Commended prize for their factual videos.   UBTVs music department also picked up a prize for their documentary series, ‘The Howling Owl Family.’ Five pints sunken, Alastair Shuttleworth emotionally thanked everyone who made it possible.

Head of Channel, Jack Deslandes told The Tab: “I’ve had an incredible time leading the channel and our efforts were massively rewarded at the NaSTAs. The award is well deserved because of all the hard work from everyone at the channel who have made it a dominant force in the world of student journalism.”  

Gemma Sophie, Production Director, concurred: “I feel very shocked and just happy to achieve something with a really lovely team I can be proud of.”

Gemma and Jack

The team have urged any aspiring media-types with passion and enthusiasm to get involved with the station by emailing [email protected].

The night understandably descended into debauchery