Truth revealed behind mysterious pink pigeons invading Bristol

A bloke called Mr Singh’s been painting them

The baffling enigma surrounding a flock of pink pigeons which invaded Bristol last week has finally been solved. A bird lover admitted he’d painted DOZENS of the creatures an electric pink, in order, he claimed, to ward off predators. 

Flocks of brightly-coloured birds have been spotted in Stockport, Northumberland, West Yorkshire, Surrey and Milton Keynes in recent weeks – leaving locals baffled.

People speculated that the pigeons could be a rare pink-tinted breed and some even claimed that the birds can change colour if they eat pink food.

But it has now emerged that an experienced pigeon fancier has been dipping his birds’ feathers with pink fabric dye to protect them from falcons.

The Bristol Post has now revealed that the pigeons belong to a family man in Eastville, where many of the sightings occurred initially.

The birdman is known only as Mr Singh, and he lives at Glenfrome Road.

Originally from India, Mr Singh is a long-time pigeon keeper and he uses striking colours to protect them from birds of prey.

He has close to 100 birds in his garden – not all pink – and they’re kept in pens, though they’re able to come and go as they please.

His daughter, who hasn’t been named, explained that the pets can fly away whenever they choose, but always decide to return to Mr Singh whether he’s splashed them with colour or not.

The pigeon keeper has won trophies for racing his flock in the past. He keeps them in fine shape with a special diet and plenty of care and attention.

The information dispels countless rumours that’ve been circling since the garish flocks emerged. One woman said the birds turn the fluorescent hue after eating pink foods.

While the collector’s intentions might be good, the RSPCA told the Post that painting pigeons is not okay, as they may ingest the dye, which could be toxic. Apparently it’s a stressful ordeal for the birds to be painted.