Review: The Lord of the Rings 48 Hour

The 48 hour team left Olivia Markham spellbound in their wonderful retake of Tolkien’s Lord Of The Rings

The last 48 hour play of the third term, The Lord Of The Rings (THE WHOLE TRILOGY), hit the Underground with epic tenacity.

However, One Does Not Simply perform such an ambitious 48 hour without putting incredible effort into all areas.

Frodo’s tea reveals the impending doom from Sauron’s Ring.

Various special effects were used to make the atmosphere of this production as authentic and comical as possible. Most notably of these was the one ring’s invisibility effect, achieved by the cast jumping into a disorientation of pretence. The ‘Dry Ice’ cardboard sign that depicted the mysterious setting for each tale also demonstrated the quick wit behind this 48 hour.

Narrator Galadriel (Maya Whatton) and Elrond (Ricky Carey) carried their Elvish personalities with sass and vigour!

Music was aptly used, particularly the Pendulum drum and bass track booming out over Saruman’s attack on the fellowship as they attempted to cross the Misty Mountains. Lighting was also well used throughout, from the intense red lighting depicting the Balrog of Morgoth and the infamous separation from Gandalf, to the later, more intense battle scenes. These scenes also made good use of more familiar, parodied music, such as ‘They’re taking the Hobbits to Isengard!’.

Gandalf delivers the monumental line: ‘Run, you fools!’

Characters kept the audience on their toes by running in from all areas of the Underground to depict many stages of the story, however, this would not have been possible without the excellent choice of cast.

From all manner of Orcs and Uruk-hai to more magical folk, this cast nailed their impressions from Tolkien’s trilogy. Both Wizards on their portrayals (Jacob Lovick and Max Carroll-Smith) as well as Gollum (Dan Burke) replicated their voices perfectly.

Gimli (Andrew Wilson), Legolas (Alice Hodgson) and Aragorn (Jake Williams) appear surprisingly optimistic before battle at Helm’s Deep.

Of course, what is a 48 hour without poking some fun at the film versions? Frodo (Hannah Sharp) was portrayed as fantastically whiney throughout his quest, giving Sam (Andy Baker) the upper hand of authority -‘Fuck Off Frodo!’

Ricky Carey delivered a hilarious performance as Elrond, giving the character a flamboyant camp-ness that could only be done within the endless hilarious boundaries of a 48 hour performance.

Sam: ‘Frodo why are you listening to that half naked, shower-cap wearing freak?!’

The simplicity of short wit from a wonderful cast and slightly unorthodox lines (especially Tinder related humour) filled this 48 hour with chaos and mayhem that left the audience in stitches. By the end, everyone was on their feet, granting this production a standing ovation. The amazing costume (particularly the elf ears), lighting, acting and the success of performing the entire trilogy surely means that Williams and Dolton achieved their vision.

A fine and well delivered 48 hour, what will they conquer next?

Rosie Cotton (Nick Williams) and Sam (Andy Baker) passionately embrace at the finale!

Congratulations to this hardworking Cast and Crew

Photography courtesy of Charlotte Wilson.