Ex-QUB Academic Lied about Terminally Ill Son to Escape Prison Sentence

A former Queen’s academic who was jailed over threats to kill a colleague made up a terminally ill child and escaped to Germany in an attempt to get a shorter sentence.

The Tab reported back in November on Dr Patrick Martens, the Psychology research fellow who was charged with a 5 months prison sentence following his threatening behaviour towards a colleague.

The court heard how Martens, who was expelled from Queen’s in September 2011:

• Bombarded his victims with 500 threatening phone calls and emails
  • Threatened to kill a female student, for which he was fined £500 by the Uni
  • Used pseudonyms to hide his identity to send explicit emails to his victims, one entitled “I’m going to slaughter you”
  • Intimidated his victim, threatening to “slaughter” him and his family.

Patrick Martens was a doctoral research fellow at QUB where he threatened a fellow colleague

Martens delayed sentencing by lying to authorities that he had to return to his homeland of Germany to visit his terminally ill son.

It has emerged that the existence of Martens’ dying son is nothing more than a sick lie invited to avoid a prison sentence. In fact it is believed he has no children at all, and plans have been made for detectives to fly out to Germany to communicate with their police force.

On top of lying about a terminally ill son, it is believed that Martens may have forged medical letters from a German hospital where he was an inpatient being treated for mental health issues.

Dr. Martens may face charges of up to give counts of perverting the course of justice along with his original sentencing.