Harleys stops alcohol t-shirt challenge after closure threats

What’s wrong with a challenge?

Have you tried the challenge of downing four double shots in one go? Was it worth the purple t-shirt?

To attract more bibulous party people Harleys bar challenged its guests to drink four double measures of sambuca, tequila, Bacardi and Jack Daniel’s in exchange for a t-shirt.

The game though has now been ditched after Ceredigion council ruled it breached the Licensing Act of 2003 and threatened the bar with closure.

Alcohol Concern first took notice of the popular challenge via Facebook, where successful participants bragged about their achievement and commented on their “hangover from hell”.

A spokesman for Alcohol Concern commented in WalesOnline:

“We thought this was a pretty clear breach of Home Office rules which ban drinking games that encourage people to drink too much or too quickly.  The rules also prevent offering prizes for drinking.”

Not everyone agrees with Alcohol Concern’s eager interference. Accounting and Finance second year Ffion said: “Harleys is definitely the place that all students go to, it’s that one stop before Pier or Yokos.

“The fact that they’ve taken ‘the t-shirt challenge’ away is understandable but they never forced anybody to do that challenge, it was each to their own.

“Regardless of if this challenge runs or not, it won’t stop students from drinking the same quantity of alcohol, the t-shirt challenge just made it more of a competition to down drinks – but let’s be honest, that’s never stopped anyone from doing it before the t-shirt challenge and it won’t stop anybody now.”