Outrage as fake election poster released

The candidate had nothing to do with it

campaign education officer election election campaign poster su election

Elections are not a time for jokers, so imagine the horror when this Education Officer candidate had his poster parodied by one man and his Photoshop skills.

Jake Stennett fell victim to this satirical jest, and it went horribly wrong when the SU received several complaints.

There were two images shared, one which had the added caption: “2015: Not having a cool libertarian brown Mormon Swedish friend bc ur multicultural like that”.

Jake had nothing to do with the poster

The poster in question

The propaganda was clearly meant to be a joke, intended to help Jake’s campaign, but one angry student branded it “intolerant”.

The second year English student said she found the caption “offensive and intolerant in an age where people co-exist in peace with one another.”

However, some others can see the joke intended by the images and Amy, a third year, said: “He seems like a classic joker. He’s got my vote.”

The source of these images, who wishes to anonymous, said the SU and people who complained were “being absolutely ridiculous”.

They said: “The whole thing was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

“The picture is a parody of a notoriously bad online pop-up, of which there are many existing parodies circulating around.

This version also appeared

“The picture was posted in a fairly non-serious manner on two different Facebook groups.

“It’s had low exposure considering the supposed amount of ‘drama’ and ‘complaints’ to the Union it generated in the ‘record time of two to three hours’.

“It feels more like somebody is using it as an opportunity for some character assassination, rather than people genuinely getting offended.

“All in all, I wish all the best to Jake and hope his temporary troubles with the Union didn’t set him back for the upcoming elections.”

Jake Stennett told The Tab: “I have no affiliation with the creator of these posts, indeed I have only encountered him a handful of times.

“The views expressed in his posts are solely his own.

“I believe I am unaccountable for what essentially strangers do with their freedom of speech and freedom of expression, although I will say I don’t not agree with any part of these negative images.

“I am sorry for any offence these may have caused.”