Boy George prison what did he do

Boy George has a criminal record, so here’s why he was arrested and ended up in prison

He was sentenced to 15 months in prison

I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here started last night and all people are asking about is how Boy George managed to get himself on the show despite having a criminal record. Here’s everything we know about the Boy George controversy including how long he spent in prison and what he went to prison for.

Boy George was arrested in December 2008 for assault and false imprisonment

On 5 December 2008 Boy George, whose real name is George O’Dowd, was convicted in Snaresbrook Crown Court, London, of the April 2007 assault and false imprisonment of Audun Carlsen, a Norwegian model and male escort. Carlsen initially stood for a photography session with Boy George but on their next meeting, Boy George handcuffed him to a wall fixture and beat him with a metal chain.

Boy George was sentenced to 15 months in prison but only served four

George’s defence presented the effects of his long-term drug use as a mitigating factor. On 16 January 2009, George was sentenced to 15 months in prison for these offences. He was initially incarcerated at HM Prison Pentonville in London but was then transferred to HM Prison Highpoint North in Suffolk. He was given early release after four months on 11 May 2009. He was required to wear an ankle monitor and submit to a curfew for the remainder of his sentence

On 23 December 2009, while he was still on licensed release from prison following an assault conviction earlier that year, George had his request to appear in court on the final series of Celebrity Big Brother turned down by the Probation Service. Richard Clayton QC, representing the Probation Service, said George’s participation in the show to promote his status as a celebrity and earn a sum of money could undermine the confidence in the criminal justice system.

George was arrested before this as well in 2005

On 7 October 2005, George was arrested in Manhattan on suspicion of cocaine possession and falsely reporting a burglary. George denied the drugs were his. In court on 1 February 2006 the cocaine possession charge was dropped and George pleaded guilty to falsely reporting a burglary He was sentenced to five days of community service, fined $1,000 and ordered to attend a drug rehabilitation programme.

For all the latest I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.