This is where all the England Euro 2022 football team went to uni

From a Monday morning 9am lecture to winning the Euros at Wembley

Last night, the Lionesses ended the 56 year wait for a trophy in a 2-1 victory against Germany that gripped the nation. But it’s not just on the pitch where they’ve achieved 2-1s. A staggering 10 players in the current England football team have got uni degrees. From Leeds Beckett to Loughborough, the Lionesses have studied everything from Business and Management to Art History and Leadership.

Here’s a look at all the current players from the England football team who went to uni and what they studied. You never know, you might just have come up against one or two in a university BUCS match.

Mary Earps – Loughborough University

England football team uni

via Instagram @1maryearps

Manchester United goalkeeper, Mary Earps was in her usual impressive form last night but between 2012 and 2016, she balanced playing for Birmingham, Bristol City and Reading whilst completing a degree in Information Management and Business Studies at Loughborough.

Graduating with a 2:1 from Loughborough, Mary said it was the only open day she had attended and had dreamt of going to the uni since she first visited the campus 10 years earlier.

Lucy Bronze – Leeds Beckett

Seven years before being named the FIFA Best Women’s Player in 2020, Lucy Bronze was a star in the Leeds Beckett football team. She graduated in 2013 with a degree in Sports Studies.

In typical student fashion, she left her dissertation to the last minute and proudly boasts she managed to knock it out in a week. Her diss was titled: “Anterior Cruciate Ligament injuries in elite female footballer: Determining factors and prevention strategies”.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Lucy Bronze (@lucybronze)

Rachel Daly – St John’s University

Rachel Daly studied in New York where she played for St John’s university football team. She became their record goalscorer in her three years at the uni scoring 59 goals in 60 games. With the attacking options so strong in the current England team, she’s filled in at left back throughout the tournament so far.

Beth Mead – Teeside University

Arsenal forward Beth Mead graduated in 2016 with a BA in Sports Development. Last week, Teeside University launched the Beth Mead Scholarship which will support four football scholars enrolling this September with bursaries of £1,200.

Demi Stokes – University of South Florida

England football team uni

via Instagram @demistokes

Demi Stokes accepted a four year scholarship to study at the University of South Florida in 2011. She split her time between playing for the college football team and flying home to play for the England team. She graduated at the end of 2014 with a major in general studies and a minor in leadership.

Lotte Wubben-Moy – University of North Carolina

Like Surrey 18-year-olds in Chiang Mai, Lotte Wubben-Moy describes “finding herself” at college. Admittedly, she did say it sounded cliche when saying it. The Arsenal defender is one of four Lionesses to have gone to university in America. She graduated with a major in Sport and Exercise Science and a minor in Art History.

Jill Scott – Loughborough

Is it any surprise that two of the current England squad went to Loughborough. If the sports university were a country, they would have outperformed Sweden, Switzerland and Belgium at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Midfielder, Jill Scott studied sports at Loughborough alongside international teammate Carly Telford.

Alessia Russo – University of North Carolina

Following her outrageous back-heel in the semi-final against Sweden, Alessia Russo announced herself as a future England star. Before that, she had already made ripples throughout the American collegiate system. She described her three years at University of North Carolina as the best years of her youth where she got to balance high level sport with going to parties and having an active social life.

“While I was young I thought, if I can get the best of both worlds then why not take it” she told Soccerbible last year.

Beth England – BPP University

Beth England studied a part-time law degree whilst at Doncaster Rovers between 2011-2015. Earning a scholarship at the private university, Beth travelled almost 180 miles each week to attend lectures in London from her hometown in Barnsley.

Nikita Parris – Liverpool John Moores

Former sport scholar, Nikita Parris graduated from John Moores in 2018. Her personal tutor said her success playing for England did not come as a surprise to anyone at the university.

“She demonstrates the same focus, motivation and enthusiasm that we saw last year on the course. She has taken the advice and experience of balancing her studies and is applying that now to her football career. We are all very proud of her success,” she said in 2019.

Featured Image Credit: Shutterstock / Rui Vieira/AP

These UK unis will literally pay you thousands of pounds if you choose to study there

‘I wouldn’t be here without them’: How antidepressants changed these students’ lives

Master’s student spices up her graduation by doing the splits on stage and it’s iconic