tory-government-resignations-conservatives-boris-johnson

LIVE: The Tories who are staying and those who have resigned in the wake of the Pincher scandal

Fancy another one?

Yesterday was certainly not a good day to be Prime Minister. In the wake of the Chris Pincher scandal, Boris Johnson’s premiership started to crumble with government resignations being announced one after another.

The Prime Minister is intent on sticking around and is hurriedly making new appointments to plug the gaps left by the likes of Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid. But many commentators from across the political spectrum think it’s already curtains for BoJo.

Here’s a rundown of all the people who’ve quit the their roles in the government and those who’ve come in to replace them. This article will be updated as Boris’s house of hards presumably continues to collapse.

These two bigguns jumped ship yesterday evening

On Tuesday evening, health secretary Sajid Javid decided enough was enough and handed in his resignation letter. This came just moments after the PM was pathetically attempting to apologise for the Chris Pincher scandal.

In his resignation letter, Javid said the British public “expect integrity from their government” and that the Johnson’s government was no longer “acting in the national interest”.

No.10 moved fast and appointed Boris’ former chief of staff, Steve Barclay, to the position of health secretary.

Shortly after Javid fucked off, chancellor Rishi Sunak followed suit in what many are saying was a co-ordinated move. Sunak said “the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously.”

He added: “I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.”

Education secretary Nadhim Zahawi then filled Rishi’s tiny boots and to become the new chancellor of the exchequer.

Universities minister Michelle Donelan stepped up to become education secretary. One Tory MP was confused by this appointment, replying to No.10’s announcement on Twitter: “Seriously?”

Some ministers have also had enough

Solicitor general Alex Chalk left government yesterday, with education minister Will Quince throwing in the towel this morning.

Quince was forced to defend Boris’s actions in TV interviews on Monday. Now he says he had “no choice” but to resign.

Schools minister Robin Walker also quit this morning, saying he’s lost faith in the PM.

Treasury minister John Glen was next to walk, saying he had a “complete lack of confidence” in Boris.

Victoria Aitken, home office minister, decided it was her time to go, before environment minister Jo Churchill hopped on the bandwagon.

Five more ministers quit in one go at 2.30pm today

Kemi Badenoch, Neil O’Brien, Alex Burghart, Lee Rowley and Julia Lopez all left the government in one fell swoop today at around 2.30pm.

A load of parliamentary private secretaries have quit their positions

Parliamentary private secretaries (basically important assistants to the government) have also been resigning. They include:

Jonathan Gullis, Northern Ireland Office

Saqib Bhatti, Department of Health and Social Care

Nicola Richards, Department of Transport

Virginia Crosbie, Welsh Office

Laura Trott, Department of Transport

David Johnston, Claire Coutinho and Selaine Saxby all resigned at around 1.30pm today.

This lot didn’t fancy it either

Bim Afolami, vice-chairman of the Conservative Party for youth

Andrew Murrison, trade envoy to Morocco

Theodora Clarke, trade envoy to Kenya

Nadine Dorries is obviously still backing Boris

But there are obvs a load of loyalists, who are somehow coming out in support of Boris. Among them are, of course, Nadine Dorries.

Lizz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Priti Patel, Michael Gove, Dominic Raab and Grant Shapps are among those who are reportedly staying and backing the Prime Minister.

But a load of other MPs are also saying they’ve now lost confidence in the prime minister

Robert Halfon, who chairs the Commons education committee, said he’s lost confidence in Boris Johnson who has, in his words, “misled” the public.

Lee Anderson also penned a letter saying he no longer backs Boris. “Integrity should always come first and sadly this has not been the case over the past few days,” the letter read.

For more politics and current affairs follow our new channel Agenda on Twitter.