People are convinced they know what’ll happen to Max next with this Stranger Things theory

‘Max’s storyline is very up in the air’, Sadie Sink has said

Max is obviously a Stranger Things fan favourite, and watching her narrowly brush with death whilst running away from Vecna with Kate Bush in season four volume one of the show was almost too much to bear. After Stranger Things four volume two, there’s a huge fan theory about what will happen next to Max.

Warning: Stranger Things season four volume two spoilers

Okay so let’s get into it – basically, everyone’s been non-stop crying after seeing Max apparently die at the end of Stranger Things four. But now there’s a theory about what might happen to Max next in Stranger Things, with people thinking Vecna is going to possess her and use her.

In Stranger Things season four volume two, Max basically decides to stop listening to Kate Bush and offer herself up to Vecna as bait, so the rest of the gang can try and attack him. It ends up going wrong and her eyes bleed, limbs break, and it looks like she dies. Eleven brings Max back to life, and we see her at the end of the series lying in a hospital bed in some sort of coma with bandages and casts all over her body.

Here’s the theory that says Vecna may possess Max or somehow use her:

When Eleven went into her mind to try and communicate with her, she couldn’t find Max and it was just completely dark and empty. People think Max might be braindead, and the creators of Stranger Things, the Duffer brothers, have kind of confirmed this, saying she’s “alive but braindead”.

Speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, the Duffer brothers confirmed which characters are actually dead, but when they were asked about Max, they said: “She’s braindead, but she’s alive. Braindead and blind and all of her bones broken, but she’s doing great. She’s seen better days.”

The theories about Vecna possessing Max and using her says that he will use her body “like a vessel”, with one person saying “basically her body is an empty shell for Vecna to possess” and another saying he has “kidnapped” Max’s mind. Another person talking about the Stranger Things theory thinks Vecna is hiding inside Max while he heals, saying: “After Robin, Steve, and Nancy set him on fire, he disappeared. Where did he go? He can possess people and to me it makes sense”.

But what does this mean for Max and what might happen in Stranger Things five, when we eventually have it? One Twitter user said: “Season five of Stranger Things will definitely be about defeating Vecna and regaining Max’s soul. They said Vecna ‘absorbs’ his victims so right now he has Max’s soul and as soon as they get that back, the gates might close”.

Another thinks Vecna might taunt Eleven through Max, telling her to kill her friend. I don’t think my poor heart can take it. In a more positive spin on the theory, one fan thinks we will see the friends will be racing to “free Max’s mind from his control and put Vecna back in his body to be destroyed”.

In an interview with Deadline, Sadie Sink, who plays Max, said: ”We did have a conversation. They called me before I read the ninth episode because in the script it literally says that Max dies.”

She said she has “no idea” what will happen to Max in season five, saying her storyline is “up in the air”. She said: ”I have no idea what’s coming in five and what that looks like. Max’s storyline is very up in the air, ’cause obviously she’s in a coma and Eleven can’t find her in the void. So who knows where she is and what state she’s in.”

Stranger Things is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.