Meet Gemma: The 19-year-old on Love Island 2022 whose dad is Michael Owen

She describes herself as ‘fun, flirty and fiery’

It’s about to be the longest and hottest summer of them all, as Love Island is back. Before the official cast list for this year was announced, Gemma Owen was one of the names being thrown around as a potential Love Island 2022 cast member. And now, here she is, ready to enter the villa.

She’s got a very famous dad, describes herself as “fun, flirty and fiery” and says she was born competitive – so it’s safe to say she’s going to be one to watch this year. Here’s everything you need to know about Gemma Owen, as she steps foot into the Love Island 2022 villa.

Everything you need to know about Love Island 2022 cast member Gemma Owen, Her age job Instagram and dad Michael Owen

Gemma in her Love Island 2022 promo pic, via ITV

New Love Island cast member Gemma is 19 and from Cheshire

Gemma is 19 and lives in Cheshire, she’s this year’s youngest original cast member. When asked why she wanted to take part in Love Island, Gemma said: “I am open to finding love, I’m wanting to have a really fun summer. I was seeing someone and then that didn’t work out so I thought, ‘Why not?'”

Before appearing on Love Island, Gemma had her own business and she does international dressage

Gemma is an international horse rider for Great Britain, and owns her own swimwear brand, OG Beachwear. She has competed for Great Britain in dressage since she was 11-years-old, which has given her the opportunity to travel all across Europe competing. She launched OG Beachwear during the first lockdown in 2020.

via Instagram @gemowen_1

‘I’m fun, flirty and fiery’

“I would say I’m fun, flirty and fiery”, Gemma said, when asked what she will bring to Love Island 2022. “I think I’m good at giving advice, I’m a good person to talk to, I’m very honest. If I want the same guy, I’d do it but in a nice respectful way.” She said her friends and family would describe her as “very honest and a bit stubborn, straight up and a bit fiery”.

“I can be quite protective,” she said. “When you get to know me, I’m quite fun but it just takes a while for that guard to come down. They would say that I can take the mick out of myself quite easily!”

She added: “I do think I’m a good girlfriend. I would say that once I’m in something, I’m loyal and all for that person. I don’t think my head would get turned easily.” She also said she is a relationship person, and doesn’t suit the single life.

Her dad is Michael Owen, yes, really

via Instagram @themichaelowen

You’ve probably heard it by now, but her dad is England footballer, Michael Owen. Her mother is his wife Louise Bonsall and Gemma is the eldest out of the couple’s four children.

Speaking of her family life, Gemma said it has made her quite competitive as a person. “Sport has always been a big thing for me and my family,” she said. “I would say I’m very competitive. [When it comes to relationships] I will always go for what I want. But at the same time, I’m not going to mess up something for someone who is in a proper relationship or get in the way of a couple if they have a genuine connection. I wouldn’t do anything to another girl that I wouldn’t be happy with them doing to me.”

Gemma previously said she wouldn’t appear on Love Island

via Instagram @gemowen_1

Before she was announced as part of the Love Island cast, Gemma told the Daily Mail: “I watch [Love Island] every summer but right now it’s not something I would consider doing because I am not looking for love at the moment.”

But, I guess the producers managed to change her mind. “Gemma isn’t just beautiful, smart and single, but she has one of the country’s best-loved sports stars as her dad,” a source told The Sun. “ITV bosses [were] scrambling to get her signed up for this year’s Love Island. However, if talks are successful, it’s likely to be a huge payday for Gemma too. Weeks spent lounging about in a bikini is going to give her beachwear line the sort of boost most firms can only dream about and make her a huge star herself.”

Bad hygiene gives her the ick

The all important question here – what gives Gemma the ick? “A lot of things give me the ick,” she said. “Bad hygiene, someone whose breath smells, their hair isn’t nice or they don’t look after themselves. A few clothing items can give me the ick, like someone who wears trainers with long socks!”

Gemma has 78.6k followers on Instagram

via Instagram @gemowen_1

Gemma currently has 78.6k followers on Instagram, which is set to rise dramatically when she starts appearing on Love Island every night. Right now, her feed is full of pictures of her on holiday in places such as Dubai, Ibiza and the Algarve. As far as polished up Instagrams for Love Island go, Gemma has got it nailed. Her handle is @gemowen_1.

Love Island 2022 starts on Monday 6th June on ITV2. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.