New Islanders to be trained on ‘being a good ally’, inclusive language and microaggressions

ITV has announced new measures to support cast members before, during and after filming

ITV has announced new duty of care protocols for Islanders, ahead of Love Island 2022. The new series starts in less than two weeks, and the show has said Islanders this year are being trained on things such as being an ally, and inclusive language around disability, sexuality and race.

ITV and Lifted Entertainment (part of ITV Studios) today published details of the extended duty of care protocols. It said ahead of series eight, contributors on the show will be offered video training and guidance covering inclusive language around disability, sexuality, race and ethnicity, behaviours and microaggressions.

The inclusion training, which Islanders are being offered prior to entering the villa, consists of conversations chaired by BCOMS (Black Collective of Media in Sport) founder Leon Mann MBE and including DEI (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) consultant Hayley Bennett, disability specialist Shani Dhanda and broadcaster Sean Fletcher. These discussions will tackle topics including inclusive language, behaviour, creating safe spaces and being a good ally.

Love Island 2022 sees new duty of care protocols set by ITV

via ITV

Additionally, before they go onto the show, prospective Islanders will watch a video fronted by the show’s executive producer and head of welfare interviewing former Islanders about their experiences on the show. This includes details on the two week period before they enter the villa, how to cope being filmed 24/7, the interaction they will have with producers in the villa, the support provided to family members, dealing with social media trolling, and adapting to life away from the show.

Welfare services being offered to the Islanders this year include: Comprehensive psychological support, training on social media impacts and potential negativity online, training on financial management, an aftercare package which extends support to all Islanders following their participation on the show, and guidance and advice on taking on management after the show. Past Islanders will also be offering conversations about the impact of participation.

Mental health experts will be available from pre-filming right until after the show and psychological and medical assessments will be carried out with Islanders before entering the villa. A minimum of eight therapy sessions will be offered to each Islander when they return home and contact with Islanders is kept for a period of 14 months after the series, with additional help provided where applicable.

Speaking of the duty of care protocols ahead of Love Island 2022, Ade Rawcliffe, Group Director of Diversity and Inclusion at ITV, said: “The world we live in is changing every day, and we want all of our Islanders to feel they are part of an inclusive environment in the villa. As part of our duty of care process, it is also important we play our part in educating our participants to understand and empathise with different perspectives and lived experiences.”

Love Island 2022 starts on ITV2 at 9pm on Monday 6th June. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip, and rumours about the 2022 series – follow The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.