Derry Girls creator reveals the storylines that didn’t make the show, and they’re so good

Sorry but we were ROBBED of seeing Orla play Romeo with Jenny Joyce as Juliet

Derry Girls is almost at its close, with three seasons and one hour-long bonus “one year later” episode. It’s the most iconic series and I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t give an arm and a leg to be in the Derry Girls gang with James, Erin, Orla, Michelle and Clare. But even though the beloved series is *sobs* coming to its end, the creator of Derry Girls, Lisa McGee, has said in a tweet that she wants to “share some stories that didn’t make it” and revealed some bonus storylines that were cut from the final show.

She also told DigitalSpy: “There’s so many [storylines that got axed], I could write a book! I think I will get them gathered up and put them online at some point when I have time, but because there’s scripted things that I really loved.”

So, are you crying that we’ll never get any more Derry Girls? Here are all the bonus Derry Girls storylines Lisa McGee has revealed, that were cut and didn’t make it into the show:

A school play sees Orla as Romeo and Jenny Joyce as Juliet

I’m sorry but we were absolutely robbed of this. A few weeks ago, Lisa McGee tweeted saying there was a storyline where Erin writes a version of Romeo and Juliet “which she thinks is mind blowingly original”, with Juliet as a Catholic and Romeo as a Protestant.

The cast for the play is decided by a class vote, and Orla ends up being voted as Romeo. But Erin’s horrified because Juliet’s role goes to Jenny Joyce, of all people.

James has to get baptised and makes the Derry Girls audition to be his godparents

One of the storylines Lisa McGee revealed to DigitalSpy was one where the school discovers James had never been baptised – so he has to get baptised as an adult.

“They do the whole Catholic baptism, like wear whites and get dunked in water and all that kind of stuff”, Lisa McGee said.

James also makes all the Derry Girls audition to see which two can be his godparents: “So the gang have this huge fallout because they want to be his godparents, because you know you kind of choose two in the Catholic Church, so he’s auditioning the gang for which two are gonna be the godparents.” Imagine if Erin had been his godmother and then kissed him, ew. Maybe that’s why it got cut?

This was apparently “a whole different episode” of its own that never made the Derry Girls cut. Lisa said: “It just was very stupid, but that was a whole episode that was really funny but I couldn’t find the political heart of it. So we had to leave it.”

Orla accidentally saves someone’s life with first aid

Another cut storyline is one where the Derry Girls learn first aid, and Orla ends up saving someone’s life: “They’re so, so terrible at it, but Orla kind of ends up accidentally saving someone’s life later in the episode, using the first aid technique.”

Lisa said: “It probably doesn’t sound that funny, but it was one of the funniest things I’ve written but I couldn’t find room for it.”

Ma Mary and Aunt Sarah try to solve crime

The “Mammies” episode in Derry Girls season three was iconic and everyone loved seeing more of Aunt Sarah and Ma Mary, especially seeing them and the other mammies when they were younger! Lisa revealed there was another cut storyline based around Ma Mary and Aunt Sarah, where they try to solve a local crime – “but it was more on the level of milk bottles going missing than, say, a murder”, DigitalSpy writes.

James ends up coaching a football team

In another cut storyline, Lisa said James pretends he really likes football, all to try and make some friends – but he ends up coaching an actual football team. I’m sure the Derry Girls would have loved watching and screaming from the sidelines.