how did Amber Heard get her role in Aquaman

Depp v Heard: How did Amber Heard get her role in Aquaman?

Johnny Depp’s lawyer grilled her on it during yesterday’s questioning

Live: This is a developing story and is being continuously updated.

Amber Heard has insisted she got her part in Aquaman herself, after theories – and Johnny Depp’s lawyer – speculated she didn’t.

The actress is currently testifying against her ex-husband after he sued her for defamation. She stands to lose £40 million over an op-ed she wrote in which she called herself a “public figure representing domestic violence.” Camille Vasquez, a lawyer on Depp’s defence team, wrapped up her cross-examination yesterday (17th May).

An audio clip was played to the court, in which Heard taunted Depp, calling him a “washed-up piece of shit.” The actor could then be heard shouting “Aquaman” at his ex. This led to questions over how Heard actually got the part of Mera in the film series.

why wont Johnny look at Amber?

Photo via Steve Helber/POOL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

After the lengthy clip fell silent, Vasquez asked Heard: “Mr. Depp got you that role in Aquaman, didn’t he?”

Looking shocked, Heard hit back: “Excuse me?” she said.

The lawyer repeated the question, to which Heard insisted: “No, Ms. Vasquez. I got myself that role by auditioning. That’s how that works.”

Vasquez questioned whether the actress was jealous of Depp’s career, highlighting a moment in the clip where he could be heard saying, “your jealousy is so tragic.” Heard later said she thought he meant she was jealous of his film roles.

Photo by BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/POOL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Heard only earnt around £800,000 for her role in Aquaman – although she claimed that number doubled for the second film. She claimed Warner Bros. “didn’t want (her)” in the sequel.

“They basically took a bunch out of my role,” she told the court.

For more updates on the Johnny Depp v Amber Heard trial, follow our live blog here.