why wont Johnny look at Amber?

So, we finally know why Johnny Depp refused to look at Amber Heard during her testimony

He wore sunglasses while his ex-wife spoke

Live: This is a developing story and is being continuously updated.

Cross-examination of Amber Heard began yesterday (16th May) – and we finally found out why her ex-husband, Johnny Depp, has avoided eye contact with her since the start of her testimony.

Depp is suing Heard for defamation, after she wrote an opinion article in 2018 describing herself as a “public figure representing domestic violence.” Heard is counter-suing the actor for £81 million in damages.

Viewers had noticed Depp refusing to look at the Aquaman actress while she was delivering her statement. He wore sunglasses the whole time, and mostly stared at his screen or on the floor. Depp’s lawyer addressed this in one of her first questions to Heard.

johnny depp trial live

Photo via Jim Watson/Shutterstock

“Mr. Depp hasn’t looked at you once this entire trial, has he?” Camille Vasquez, Johnny Depp’s lawyer, asked.

“Not that I’ve noticed, no.” Heard replied.

“You’ve looked at him, though, many times.” Vasquez insisted. “You know exactly why Mr. Depp won’t look back at you, don’t you? He promised you, you would never see his eyes again… one of the last times you ever saw Mr. Depp, in San Francisco of July 2016.”

Heard maintained she couldn’t recall the actor telling her this.

johnny depp

Photo by Shutterstock

An audio clip was then played to the court, which included Depp telling his ex-wife he’d never let her see his eyes again: “After all the shit you just said?” the actor asked. “All the shit you’ve accused me of? I’m nothing to you, and I will always be nothing to you.

“We’ll never see each other again. Don’t take my fucking glasses off. You will not see my eyes again.”

In response to the clip, Heard said: “As far as I know, he cannot look at me… he can’t.”

For more updates on the Johnny Depp v Amber Heard trial, follow our live blog here.