johnny depp and kate moss

Depp v Heard: When did Johnny Depp and Kate Moss date?

Amber Heard referenced the supermodel in her testimony

Johnny Depp’s star-studded dating history has been a rocky one – to say the least. Most of his past relationships have been long-since forgotten; but he’s been out with some pretty massive celebrities over the last 30 years.

The actor is currently caught up in the middle of a defamation case against his ex-wife, Amber Heard, who is counter-suing him £81 million in damages. Allegations of domestic and sexual violence, as well as a 2018 op-ed written by Heard are at the root of the lawsuit.

After Depp’s lengthy testimony and cross-examination, Heard took to the stand last week (4th May) in a bid to tell her story. During her statement, she name-dropped Depp’s ex-girlfriend, Kate Moss, which prompted an unexpected response from the actor’s defence.

Benjamin G. Chew, Depp’s lawyer, fist-pumped at the mention of Moss’ name. While it’s as yet unclear why Depp’s team celebrated, the question on everyone’s lips is: What went on during Johnny Depp and Kate Moss’ four-year relationship?

The pair met in 1994

johnny depp

Photo via Shutterstock

Kate Moss, then 20, met 31-year-old Johnny Depp in New York’s Café Tabac – a place popular among creatives. Moss didn’t have a fixed address, as her supermodel status often took her to catwalks around the world, and Depp had just bought a share in the now-infamous Viper Room, a club in Hollywood.

The couple allegedly clicked as soon as they met, and instantly began travelling with each other. Friends and family knew Moss and Depp were in the midst of a fairytale relationship, with one source telling People: “They can’t keep their hands, lips, mouths, legs off each other.”

Depp was arrested for ‘criminal mischief’ during the relationship

Depp and Moss were known for having wild, public arguments – and were often papped shouting at each other. In the early hours of 13th September 1994, the actor was arrested at a New York hotel for allegedly trashing his hotel room. The charge was later dismissed, and Moss was uninjured.

Moss celebrated her 21st birthday at Depp’s club

Kate Moss turned 21 in January 1995 – in the middle of a rough 14 months for the Viper Room. Late actor River Phoenix had died in the club just a few months before, and Moss’ birthday ended up with Jason Donovan suffering a drug overdose. Soon after, Depp sold his partial ownership.

It took years for Moss to get over the relationship

kate moss

Photo via NBC

Kate Moss is a notoriously private person – but she later admitted to Vanity Fair that the couple’s breakup left her devastated.

“There’s nobody that’s ever really been able to take care of me. Johnny did for a bit,” she said. “I believed what he said. Like if I said, ‘What do I do?’ he’d tell me.

“And that’s what I missed when I left. I really lost that gauge of somebody I could trust. Nightmare. Years and years of crying. Oh, the tears!”

Now, Amber Heard has cited Moss in her testimony

During her testimony on Thursday (5th May), Heard stated she’d punched Depp in an attempt to stop him allegedly pushing (Heard’s sister) down a staircase.

She claimed the actor had pushed Kate Moss down the stairs during their relationship – neither party has ever spoken out about this in the past.