Doctor Who new era

Here’s a full rundown of everything we know about the new era of Doctor Who

David Tennant and Catherine Tate were filming in Camden, I’m crying you guys

Russell T Davies is returning to Doctor Who, and even the most casual of fans knows how huge a deal this is. Russell T Davies relaunched the show in 2005 to critical and commercial acclaim – rebooting the show and creating a new fandom of young people who had never experienced the time and space travelling magic of Doctor Who before. After a turbulent era with Chris Chibnall as showrunner, where viewing figures have dropped and the quality of the scripts has plummeted, the announcement that Russell T Davies would be returning to not only helm the 60th anniversary celebrations but as a showrunner for the next season and iteration following Jodie Whittaker’s regeneration has been simply euphoric. Since the news that Russell T Davies would be back, the announcements have come thick and fast – here’s everything we know about the upcoming era of Doctor Who.

Casting announcements, returning characters and some VERY juicy Reddit rumours that are proving to be more credible with every piece of news released… we’ve got it all covered.

There will be one episode in autumn 2022

Before RTD takes charge in 2023, there’s one final episode that will air this year – which will deal with the small matter of the regeneration of the Thirteenth Doctor and the bowing out of Jodie Whittaker. The special will commemorate the BBC’s centenary celebrations – and will have the Thirteenth Doctor facing off against The Master, the Daleks and the Cybermen. Mandip Gill and John Bishop will star as Yaz and Dan – and will be joined by returning Classic Who companions Ace and Tegan , who will assist the Doctor in fighting her foes.

There could also be a Bradley Walsh cameo as Graham as the actor was spotted close to the filming locations in 2021. We can also expect to see Ncuti Gatwa in his first appearance as the Fourteenth Doctor after Jodie’s regeneration. The episode is expected to air in October 2022.

Ncuti Gatwa is the Fourteenth Doctor

In what is literally the best casting decision in modern memory, Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa will be undertaking the role of the Fourteenth Doctor. It will be a cultural reset. Honestly, it’s just pure joyous. Here’s Ncuti and Russell T Davies on the Bafta red carpet giving their first interviews about the news.

Ncuti will likely debut as the Fourteenth Doctor in the final moments of Jodie’s departing story in autumn of this year, but then will start the role properly for the 60th Anniversary special (or specials!) in 2023 and then onwards with the new season.

David Tennant and Catherine Tate will be RETURNING!

No, I’ve not fully absorbed this news yet either. David Tennant will be returning to the show as the Doctor, and Catherine Tate will be reprising her legendary role of Donna Noble. The BBC officially confirmed the iconic duo would be returning on May 15th, saying: “One of the most loved pairings in Doctor Who’s history have reunited and are filming scenes that are due to air in 2023 to coincide with the show’s 60th anniversary celebrations.

“The Doctor and Donna parted ways when the Doctor had to wipe Donna’s memory, making her forget him, in order to save her life. He left her family with a warning: if ever she remembers, she will die. But with the two coming face to face once more, the big question is, just what brings the Doctor and Donna back together?”

Since the Doctor and Donna are never meant to be reunited again – what on EARTH could be going on? Russell T Davies also posted about the announcement, saying the following: “They’re back! And it looks impossible – first, we announce a new Doctor, and then an old Doctor, along with the wonderful Donna, what on earth is happening?  Maybe this is a missing story. Or a parallel world. Or a dream, or a trick, or a flashback. The only thing I can confirm is that it’s going to be spectacular, as two of our greatest stars reunite for the battle of a lifetime.” The mystery is MYSTERYING.

David Tennant, Catherine Tate AND Bernard Cribbins spotted filming in Camden on May 16th

David Tennant (in a new coat!!!) and Catherine Tate were spotted filming scenes in Camden on 16th May, joined by Bernard Cribbins – reprising his beloved role as Wilf, Donna’s grandfather. Several pictures were tweeted from the filming of the new era of Doctor Who:

Heartstopper star Yasmin Finney announced to be playing a character called ROSE!

After her breakthrough role of Elle Argent in Heartstopper, a trans girl who struggles to make new friends at her new school, Yasmin Finney’s casting as a new companion is one that delighted everyone. She’s playing a character named Rose, who many believe might be Donna Noble’s daughter. Russell T Davies said of the casting in an Instagram post: “Welcome to the Whoniverse, Yasmin Finney! The star of the wonderful Heartstopper joins us for the 60th Anniversary playing Rose! Another Rose? But how? Who? Why?”

Of course, the name has sent fans into meltdown – it’s the same name as Billie Piper’s iconic character Rose Tyler, one of the most beloved companions in the show’s history.

Reddit leaks from weeks ago are getting proven more and more true – POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD!

A Doctor Who fan shared last night a post on Reddit that is being proven to be more and more reputable as the news and announcements get rolled out about the upcoming new era of Doctor Who. The poster says their source works at Bad Wolf and told them some details about the 60th anniversary special.

The post predicted correctly that Tennant and Tate would be back, and says that the Thirteenth Doctor allegedly regenerates into the Tennant on a clifftop. The 60th Anniversary episodes are set to be a trio, all linked by a story of why the Doctor got his old face back and why he is reunited with Donna. The post also correctly talks about Bernard Cribbins as Wilf and that Donna will have a daughter named Rose. The full post is here:

The new era of Doctor Who is due to begin autumn 2022, before RTD takes the reins for 2023. We will continue to update here with any new information that comes out.

Rewatch and binge every episode of Doctor Who before the new era begins on BBC iPlayer here.