‘The most deserving out there’: The Sex Education cast react to Ncuti Gatwa as Doctor Who

Gillian Anderson called him a ray of sunshine and now I’m crying

This weekend came possibly the best casting in British TV history – Ncuti Gatwa has been revealed as the 14th Time Lord in BBC series, Doctor Who. Now I don’t know about you, but this has me all too ready to become a huge Doctor Who nerd all over again.

Twitter went into meltdown as soon as the news was announced, and everyone has been excited since. We know Ncuti as our favourite character Eric Effiong in Sex Education – so how have his fellow Netflix cast members reacted to the big news? Grab a tissue for this one, because they’re all besties and you might want to cry.

Asa Butterfield

Asa Butterfield and Ncuti Gatwa are close off-screen just like their Sex Education characters, Otis and Eric. Asa summed up his thoughts about his friend being cast in such a huge role on Twitter, saying: “Incredible, the most deserving man out there. Wowowowowow!!”

Gillian Anderson

Just when you thought it wasn’t possible to love Gillian Anderson any more, she has called Ncuti a “ray of sunshine” and wished him congratulations. Honestly, I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Emma Mackey

Emma Mackey, who plays Maeve, has also shown her support for her co-star. She shared the news on Instagram, and added “❤️ My Doctor ❤️”.

Aimee Lou Wood

Aimee Lou Wood quite possibly had the cutest reaction to the news, which showed just how close she is to Ncuti. On the same day the news Ncuti Gatwa was the new Doctor Who was announced, Aimee and Ncuti presented a BAFTA award together and went up on stage arm-in-arm. She then did a knock-knock joke and, you guessed it, it was who’s there? Doctor. Doctor, who?

Sex Education cast react to the news Ncuti Gatwa is the new Doctor Who

via BBC

She also shared the news on Instagram and said she is “crying”. Honestly, same.

Simone Ashley

via Instagram @simoneasshley

Simone Ashley, who has recently quit her role as Olivia in Sex Education to focus on playing Kate in Bridgerton, shared the news to her Instagram as well. “YES! So proud. Go on,” she added.

Sami Outalbali

via Instagram @samioutalbali

Sami Outalbali plays Rahim in Sex Education, and he too shared the news on his Instagram story. He called Ncuti a “boss”, which is very fair commentary.

All three seasons of Sex Education are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.