emily atack

Emily Atack receives a ‘bombardment’ of unsolicited DMs after explicit site reposts her selfie

She’s previously campaigned against cyberflashing and online harassment

Inbetweeners star and comedian Emily Atack has spoken out after an explicit site appeared to repost one of her selfies on Twitter, prompting a flood of unsolicited sexual DMs from strangers.

The “meme” started gaining traction in 2020, after Emily had taken a selfie in the back of a taxi. Despite the totally non-sexual nature of the photo, it was eventually tweeted by adult site Fake Taxi – in which explicit scenes take place in the back of a hire car.

According to Emily’s Instagram story, the Tweet began making the rounds again this weekend (20th March), and the actress was “bombarded” with horrific messages.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Emily Atack (@emilyatack)

“Oh good, so this photo is now on the actual Fake Taxi Twitter and website,” she wrote. “Excellent. No really, that’s great. Trying to have a wholesome Sunday and I’m being bombarded with perverts asking if I’d like to accidentally take a wrong turn into the woods. Go iron your kids’ school uniforms, you pricks.”

So far, Fake Taxi hasn’t offered Emily a response, and their Twitter account is hidden from view due to the sexual nature of their other tweets.

Emily has tirelessly campaigned for tighter restrictions on image-based sexual abuse and other forms of online sexual harassment. In November 2021, she appeared in parliament to discuss online anonymity.

emily atack

Earlier in 2021, she revealed the true extent of her experience with online abuse. She stated the situation had become “out of control,” and said she’d once received three unsolicited photos before 10AM.

Cyberflashing will soon become a criminal offence, with perpetrators set to receive a maximum sentence of two years.

The Tab has reached out to Fake Taxi for comment.