You can now face up to two years in prison for Cyberflashing, government confirms

‘Cyberflashing can cause deep distress to victims’

Cyberflashing is officially set to become a criminal offence, with perpetrators facing up to two years in jail under government plans to strengthen the online safety bill.

The criminalisation of cyberflashing now means that anyone who sends a photo or film of a person’s genitals, for the purpose of their own sexual gratification or to cause he victim humiliation, alarm or distress may face up to two years in prison.

Justice Minister Victoria Atkins said: “It is unacceptable that women and girls travelling on public transport, or just going about their day-to-day lives, are being subjected to this despicable practice. Cyberflashing can cause deep distress to victims and our changes ensure police and prosecutors have the clarity they need to tackle it and keep people safe.”

Alongside the new cyberflashing offence, the government has previously committed to creating three other new criminal offences through the online safety bill. The government hopes to tackle a “wide range of harmful private and public online communication”, including sending abusive emails, social media posts and WhatsApp messages.

The government website states the Online Safety Bill will also put more legal responsibility on social media platforms, search engines and other websites or apps which host users to tackle a range of illegal and harmful content on their services.