The Tab is hiring an Assistant Editor
This is an exciting opportunity to have one of the most varied and rewarding jobs in journalism
We’re hiring an Assistant Editor to join The Tab’s head office in London.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join one of the most young and innovative media companies in the UK.
Assistant Editors have one of the most varied and rewarding jobs in journalism – working with students to break stories and helping to build a new kind of news network. It is a role for young journalists who work hard, are capable of building brilliant working relationships with writers, and who care about original stories.
The Tab is a site covering youth and student culture – reaching five million people every month. We believe young people are overlooked, and we exist to give them a voice. Our coverage includes fighting discrimination and holding authority to account, while at the same time telling you which Netflix shows are worth binging. We are run by young journalists who like being first – our storytelling is brave, original and entertaining.
What you’ll be doing:
Day to day you’ll be working alongside 10 other editorial staff, where you will be working with local Tab teams to break big stories and publish entertaining features. You’ll be teaching student journalists the fundamentals of journalism, social media, building up The Tab’s Facebook, Instagram and TikTok networks so our stories reach their student audience, and recruiting new reporters so The Tab has the most talented writers in its network.
Assistant Editors also regularly write for The Tab UK site, and are expected to pitch in with ideas our audience will care about – whether that’s a hard-hitting investigation into universities, a Greggs quiz, a hot take on a Netflix show everyone’s watching, or trying out the latest TikTok trend for yourself.
• Managing and editing teams of student journalists around the UK
• Finding scoops on university campuses
• Running and growing Facebook, Instagram and TikTok platforms alongside our student journalists
• Writing news, features, trash and investigations for The Tab UK
• Recruiting and training new student reporters
You’ll be working on stories just like these:
Here’s why you should apply:
• You’ll receive £22,000 a year, with pay review after the first year
• You’ll get 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays)
• Your own company MacBook
• You’ll be working in a young, sociable and ambitious team
• A mixture of home and office working, and flexible access our Shoreditch co-working space
• 24/7 access to doctors via the private WeCare app – for your physical or mental health
• We finish early on Fridays
What you’ll need:
A 2:1 degree from a British university and writing experience for student media with a keen interest in a career in journalism or writing. A proven track record of breaking news and editing great stories and a proven ability to create strong working relationships.
How to apply:
To apply, email Senior Assistant Editor Izzy Schifano ([email protected]) with your CV, and the following:
• Three links to stories you are proud of – and for each briefly explain why
• A description of two outstanding working relationships you have built
• 100 words describing something The Tab should be doing better
• 200 words about why you think you are suitable for this role
Start date ASAP. All candidates should be available to start before June 2022.
The deadline for applications is 23:59, Friday 11th February.