Boris Johnson has just announced that all Covid restrictions will end by next week

The new rules start next Thursday

The government has just announced that all Covid restrictions – including work from home guidance, COVID passports and mandatory wearing of face-masks will be scrapped in England from next Thursday.

This comes as No.10 announced the end to ‘Plan B’ Covid measures which have been in effect since the beginning of December.

This afternoon, the prime minister told the Commons that cases were falling and that Omicron had likely peaked nationally, meaning rules could now be eased.

Boris Johnson went through the latest COVID-19 data on Wednesday morning with his ministers, before making a statement to MPs.

He told the Commons today: “The Cabinet concluded that because of the extraordinary booster campaign, together with the way the public has responded to the Plan B measures, we can return to Plan A in England, and allow Plan B regulations to expire.”