russell-group-unis-students-universities-face-masks-campus

These are the Russell Group unis still telling students to wear face masks on campus

And all the unis that aren’t

As of July 19th, the government dropped the rule that face coverings must be worn in indoor settings in England. But in spite of this, universities are still telling students to wear face masks in indoor settings on campus.

In fact, just five out of 24 Russell Group universities AREN’T telling students to wear face masks indoors on campus.

Here’s a full breakdown of each of the Russell Group’s face mask policy for when term starts in September:

Oxford

Face masks required on campus when term starts?: Yes

Oxford’s latest coronavirus policy reads:  “The wearing of face coverings is to be considered a social responsibility for those members of the collegiate university who can wear them, with the aim of providing increased reassurance to all members, including those most vulnerable to serious illness.”

Cambridge

The University of Cambridge expects all staff and students to wear face masks in all indoor settings. Exemptions include if you are alone in a room or you are eating.

UCL

UCL “expects” everyone to wear face masks in all indoor spaces on campus unless they are alone in a room.

Imperial

Imperial says that face masks must be worn at all times when indoors.

KCL

Face masks required on campus when term starts?: No

King’s have said that wearing face masks will be required on campus until September 1st.

Social distancing on campus will be scrapped at the same point.

LSE

LSE has said that face masks will be required in indoor settings until September 19th.

QMUL

Queen Mary University’s website reads: “Currently, we are encouraging the wearing of face coverings while moving around campus and in buildings where it is crowded. Our policy on face coverings will be reviewed weekly.”

Birmingham

Bristol

Bristol University is still telling students to wear face masks while on campus.

Leeds

The University of Leeds’ website reads: “We ask people to use a face covering when moving through all indoor spaces.”

Manchester

The University of Manchester’s website reads: “You should wear a face covering inside our buildings in public areas where other people are present, including libraries teaching rooms and study spaces.”

Sheffield

Wear a face covering, unless exempt, when working or interacting with people at less than two metres distance from you.

Liverpool

The University of Liverpool’s website reads: “It is mandatory to wear a face covering on campus (unless exempt), including during teaching sessions and when you move from one location to another.”

York

Glasgow

Face masks are a legal requirement in all indoor settings in Scotland.

Edinburgh

At the University of Edinburgh students must wear face masks at all times indoors except in the following circumstances: when eating or when exercising in a fitness studio or gym.

Cardiff

Cardiff will also be implementing one-way systems on campus as and will maintain social distancing rules.

QUB

Face masks required on campus when term starts?: No

QUB is only advising face masks to be worn if a 2m social distance can’t be maintained.

Warwick

Newcastle

Staff and students must wear face masks “when inside and not sitting at a desk.”

Durham

“All staff, students, visitors, contractors and members of the public are required to wear face coverings inside university buildings,” Durham University’s website states.

Exeter

The University of Exeter has “a strong expectation that students and colleagues will continue to wear face-coverings in shared indoor spaces to lower the risk of Covid-19 transmission.”

Nottingham

While the University of Nottingham isn’t requiring students and staff to wear face masks, their website adds: “the government expects and recommends that you wear face coverings in crowded and enclosed spaces.”

Southhampton

*Some people are medically exempt from wearing face masks