From Dispo collapsing to 200k subs lost: The fallout from David Dobrik’s cancelling
Several brands have cut ties with him
The Vlog Squad has had a seriously rough few weeks. From David Dobrik being called out for alleged sexual assault against ex-member Seth Francois to Durty Dom being accused of rape, it seems as if not a day has gone by without old video clips resurfacing showing the group behaving poorly. As the biggest creator in the group and the one who instigated the controversy surrounding the group, David has this week experienced the first big-scale cancelling of his career.
So, from losing 200,000 subscribers in a matter of days to having to step down from his position on the board of Angel City FC, here are all of the repercussions that David Dobrik has faced since he became cancelled.
Spark Capital, an investor in David’s app Dispo, severed ties with him
1/ In light of recent news about the Vlog Squad and David Dobrik, the cofounder of Dispo, we have made the decision to sever all ties with the company.
— Spark Capital (@sparkcapital) March 22, 2021
The group that funded David’s disposable camera app, Dispo, announced that they would no longer be working with the company.
They released a couple of tweets in which they said that they will ensure that they do not make any money from the app’s release: “We have stepped down from our position on the board and we are in the process of making arrangements to ensure we do not profit from our recent investment in Dispo.”
Then David himself took a step back from the app
Following the announcement from the investment company, David released a statement saying that he would step down from the board of the company so as “to not distract from the company’s growth.”
The statement went on to say that “Dispo’s team, product and, most importantly — our community — stand for building a diverse, inclusive and empowering world.”
Dobrik also stepped down from Angel City FC, a club he had part ownership of
BREAKING NEWS THAT WILL MOST DEFINITELY CHANGE YOUR LIFE: David Dobrik and Angel City Football Club part ways. David was part owner of the National Women’s Soccer League expansion team, along with Serena Williams and Natalie Portman. pic.twitter.com/Sy52AbhBQ5
— Def Noodles (@defnoodles) March 20, 2021
Following David’s apology video for the alleged assault against Seth, it was revealed that he would no longer own his share of Angel City FC. In an internal letter from Angel City president Julie Uhrman, the club said that their “values were challenged” over the last few weeks and that their team is a place “to support and empower all”.
A whole load of brands parted ways with David
Having already parted ways with the app he co-founded, as well as the team that he had ownership of, a load of high profile brands that David previously worked with also released statements in which they revealed they’d no longer be working with the YouTuber.
These include HBO Max, Hello Fresh, General Mills, EA Sports, DoorDash, Dollar Shave Club and Audible. SeatGeek, a long time collaborator of David’s, is currently experiencing a high volume of comments on their socials from fans requesting that they too cut ties with David.
He has lost 200k subscribers in less than a week
It was already reported that David had deleted several videos of his, causing his social blade to read that he’d lost 66 million views in one day, but his followers have also been plummeting. Dexerto found that he has lost over 200k subscribers in the last week, as well as 78,000 followers in the last 30 days.