Conversations With Friends cast

The cast of Sally Rooney’s Conversations With Friends TV adaption has been announced

Taylor Swift’s boyfriend is one of the main characters

BBC Three has finally announced its Conversations With Friends cast, with Taylor Swift’s boyfriend Joe Alwyn picking up one of the main roles.

Conversations With Friends is based around four main characters: Bobbi and Frances, and Nick and Melissa. Alison Oliver plays Frances, a 21-year-old college student who is best friends and ex-girlfriend to Bobbi, played by Sasha Lane. Jemima Kirke plays Melissa, and Joe Alwyn her husband Nick.

Conversations With Friends follows the story of best friends Bobbi and Frances. Set in Dublin, Frances and Bobbi are ex-girlfriends who have remained inseparably close. They perform spoken word together, and meet Melissa, an older well-known writer who becomes infatuated with the pair. As new friendships are formed, Frances develops an intimate relationship with Melissa’s husband Nick, and tensions arise between the four parties.

When asked about the Conversations With Friends cast, series director and executive producer Lenny Abrahamson said: “I feel so excited to be collaborating with four such superb actors to bring Sally’s brilliant novel to the screen.”

“Alison, Sasha, Joe and Jemima are the dream cast to lead ‘Conversations With Friends’ and all of us at Element are so excited about the incredible scripts from our amazing team of writers which we have been developing with the oversight of the brilliant Lenny Abrahamson”, executive producer Ed Guiney added.

Sally Rooney said: “I am so pleased to be working with the team at Element, Lenny Abrahamson and the BBC to produce an adaptation of Conversations With Friends. I’m confident we’re going to find fresh and interesting ways of dramatising the novel’s dynamics, and I’m excited to watch the process take shape‎.”

Conversations With Friends is Irish author Sally Rooney’s first major novel. After the success of Normal People with Daisy Edgar-Jones and Paul Mescal playing the leads, BBC Three was quick to snap up the rights to Rooney’s original bit hit.

The series will be 30 minutes long, with 12 episodes.

Conversations With Friends is expected to air on BBC Three in 2022. 

Features image: BBC

Related Conversations With Friends stories:

Everything we know about Sally Rooney’s Conversations With Friends TV adaption

The BBC is making a series of Sally Rooney’s Conversations with Friends