A considered ranking of all Sharpay’s outfits, from least to most chaotic

Turns out she’s not the fashion icon we all used to think she was

Sharpay Evans was 100 per cent the Queen of High School Musical, and if you disagree with me you’d better click off this article right now. She worked hard, loved her brother, and gave us such bangers as Fabulous. The place where she had the most cultural impact, though, was her fashion choices.

We all loved Sharpay’s outfits and thought she was an absolute fashion icon – year six me would have paid good money to wear absolutely anything of hers. But I hate to break it to you: Sharpay wears 48 outfits across the three HSM films (yes, I counted), and when you look at them now you realise every single one of them is nothing but chaotic.

Look, the films came out in 2006, 2007 and 2008, so I know fashion’s moved on since then. Regardless of fashion, however, it is an objective scientific fact that the vast majority of these outfits are very questionable.

Here’s some of Sharpay’s fashion highlights from the HSM films, ranked on how chaotic her 00s fashion choices are:

Least chaotic: Library chic

Honestly? For Sharpay this isn’t chaotic in the slightest. Yes the dress is covered in those weird lace ruffles, but there isn’t a piece of glitter in sight. Plus, she’s wearing a dress (and heels!) in the library. Tell me you EVER look that put-together when you’re sitting in the lib crying into your iced coffee.

Pink velour tracksuit

This tracksuit set from HSM3 has serious Juicy vibes, which is right when you consider the film came out in 2008, but let’s be honest it wouldn’t look out of place on the pages of Missguided or PLT today. Obviously, because it’s Sharpay it’s hot pink and has rhinestones on the hood, but is still very low on the scale of chaotic-ness.

Honorable mention: The dressing gowns

Can we take a minute to talk about the evolution of Sharpay’s dressing gowns across the three films?

Her first one seems to be a pretty standard pink fleece dressing gown, with gems for added pizazz. HSM2 sees her in a two-tone pink satin number (it’s summer, remember) with her name on the back, and HSM3 steps it up another notch with a (glittery, obvs) faux fur collar and cuffs, and monogrammed with her initials. Your grey dressing gown with week-old baked bean sauce on it could NEVER.

Personalised graduation cap

DIY Queen Sharpay personalised her graduation cap with white rhinestones, with pink ones spelling her initials, because literally why not. Coronavirus cancelled my graduation, but when I eventually get a ceremony I might follow in the footsteps of Sharpay and do this myself, tbh.

Monochrome pink suit

We’re really getting into the chaos now. This is the first ever outfit Sharpay wears in any of the HSM films and honestly I don’t know what to look at first. The pink tartan suit; the weird-length skirt with the pleats around the knees; the gold belt worn on her hips (???); the fact she’s layered two different tank tops. Troy looks uncomfortable af here, and same.

Fabulous

An iconic look for an iconic song: A white tankini (lol) covered in rhinestones, hot pink cover-up (also covered in some kind of glitter), and that absolutely ginormous star necklace. Nine-year-old me was so jealous of Sharpay’s pink sun lounger, and if I’m being honest I still am.

Black dress and tiara

Little black dress, but make it Sharpay. This is who we all imagined we were at the year six disco. Bonus points for matching her tiara with her dog.

Pink croc skirt

Matching pink croc skirt and knee high boots is a bold fashion statement only Sharpay could make. I don’t know what all that stuff is on her necklace, but I’ll be glad to never have to see it again. Her tiara game has improved, though.

Silver sequin cardigan

I would go so far as to say that one sequinned item of clothing is already verging on too much, but when all three bits of clothes you’re wearing are covered in rhinestones and glitter (as well as your microphone), you’ve pushed it a bit too far.

Pink and green golf dress

Remember when we all thought wearing pink and green together was the pinnacle of fashion? Well, we were very, very wrong.

Gold trousers

This is, quite simply, a lot. No one needs to wear this much gold, and that is a fact you can quote me on. Plus, those trousers just look like they’d make you really sweaty and and itchy? Not a vibe.

Tiger-print dress

More gold, but this time with black. This dress should be burned, along with all other peplum dresses and tops ever made. I would also like to remind you that High School Musical is set in a high school, and I don’t know what kind of dress code they have but there is no way my secondary school teachers would have ever allowed this.

Colourful striped blazer

This outfit is only shown for a few seconds in HSM, but I couldn’t not include it. The multi-coloured stripe blazer itself would be chaotic enough, let alone than with a bright blue snakeskin belt and hot pink flared jeans.

Pink, black and white golf outfit

Sharpay wears this when she has golf lessons with Troy in HSM2, and I don’t know about you but if I was trying to steal Gabriella’s man, this is not the look I would go for. When you first see the ensemble you just think it’s some kind of hideous dress, but look closer and it’s actually a vest-and-skirt combo. She does have a pink golf cart, clubs and balls, though, so bonus points for that.

Skirt with pink tulle

If you’d given me this outfit back in 2007 I would have wept tears of joy, but looking at it now I honestly cannot fathom what’s going on. Sharpay’s back with another lo-rise skirt, except this time it has a massive bright pink tulle train, with around the hem for good measure.

Sequin dress over skinny jeans

You first see this outfit as just a slightly oddly-shaped white sequinned dress, orange bejewelled cardigan and orange velvet bag. Then you realise the cardigan and bag are two entirely different shades of orange. Your eyes pan up and you see the gold beret, inexplicably worn to the side. THEN the angle changes and you see Sharpay is quite literally wearing skinny jeans under the dress. I have nothing left to say, except that this outfit should never be worn by anyone ever again.

Most chaotic: Brown cord and white fur

Words really cannot fully do this justice: Brown cord bootleg trousers, which are too long for her. A different type of brown cord gilet, with fur trim. The gold bag so bright it could probably be seen from outer space. That crochet hat. This is absolute peak Sharpay chaos, and my eyes hurt.