Everything we know about the shooting incident with Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez
Rihanna and Lizzo sent her get well presents
If you’ve been on Twitter or Instagram over the last couple of days, you’ve probably seen a lot about Megan Thee Stallion. All sorts of different stories have been posted by news outlets and people on Twitter about a shooting incident she was involved in around the middle of July. Megan herself has posted about it, as have a bunch of other celebs such as Rihanna and Lizzo but it’s unclear what actually happened.
There have been a lot of rumours floating around about what went on as well as a lot of insensitive jokes, including a meme shared by 50 Cent which he later apologised for. Some people claim Megan made it all up, whilst others think it’s just a viralling trend without realising it was a very real and traumatic experience for her.
Earlier this week, Megan Thee Stallion opened up about the incident for the first time since it happened on an emotional Instagram Live. She debunked the rumours and explained she was shot in both feet and had to have surgery. She also expressed her shock at the cruel jokes and claims that she was lying.
There have also been reports that multiple people were arrested that night, including Tory Lanez, a rapper best known for Take It and LUV. However, there are still a lot of questions left unanswered and many people are wondering what actually happened that night, who was involved and what’s been done since the arrests. Here’s everything we know.
What is the Megan Thee Stallion shooting incident?
There have been a lot of speculation over where Megan was when she got shot, who she was with and whether it was an accident or not.
In her Instagram Live, she cleared most of this up, explaining that it happened shortly after an argument broke out at a party on 12th July. She also confirmed she was shot in both her feet and was rushed to the hospital for surgery that night by the police. However, she didn’t say who was involved or how it actually happened.
The Los Angeles Police Department issued a news release two days after the incident stating that at 4:30 am on 12th July police responded to reports of gunshots in the Hollywood Hills. The witnesses gave detailed descriptions of the vehicles involved which lead officers to arrest “multiple people”.
Tory Lanez was named as one of the people arrested and was charged for having a firearm in his car. The statement also said one person was taken to hospital for a foot injury but it did not name them.
Records from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department show that Lanez was released hours after the arrest after posting a $35,000 bond. He has a court date for October this year.
What has Megan Thee Stallion said about the shooting?
The incident was reported on within hours of the police statement. Soon after the reports, people began to speculate whether Megan was also arrested.
On 15th July, Megan posted a statement on her Instagram: “The narrative that is being reported about Sunday’s morning events are inaccurate and I’d like to set the record straight. On Sunday morning, I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.
“I was never arrested, the police officers drove me to the hospital where I underwent surgery to remove the bullets. I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night. I’m currently focused on my recovery, so I can return back to my life and back to making music as soon as possible”.
After this post, she didn’t post any more details about the incident itself but tweeted a comment aimed at the trolls who were mocking the shooting.
She wrote: “Black women are so unprotected & we hold so many things in to protect the feelings of others w/o considering our own. It might be funny to y’all on the internet and just another messy topic for you to talk about but this is my real life and I’m real life hurt and traumatized.”
Her continued silence caused even more rumours about whether it actually happened and whether she had made it up.
Around two weeks later, on Monday 27 July she went Live on her Instagram to reassure people that she was okay, thank her supporters and criticise anyone claiming she was lying or anyone making jokes about it.
“I was shot in both of my feet,” she said in the video, breaking into tears. She explained the surgery “was super scary, it was, like, just the worst experience of my life” and said she felt lucky the bullets didn’t hit any bones or tendons.
She added: “It’s not funny. There’s nothing to joke about. It was nothing for y’all to start going and making up fake stories about. I didn’t put my hands on nobody, I didn’t deserve to get shot.”
In response to people condemning her for staying quiet for so long, she said: “It’s not that I was protecting anybody. I just wasn’t ready to speak.” She added that although some people “immediately get on the internet and start talking about [it]. That’s not me”.
What have other people said about the incident?
A few other celebs have sent their support, including Rihanna, who sent a bunch of flowers and a note saying: “Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, Meg! Just know you’ve got a whole crew over here sending good vibes your way! Love, Rihanna and the Fenty Corp gang”.
She also got a teddy bear filled with sweets from Lizzo which she posted on her Instagram story.
As well as the support, Megan also got an apology on Twitter from 50 Cent after he shared a meme about the incident.
He tweeted: “👀Damn I didn’t think this shit was real,🤦♂️It sounded so crazy @theestallion I’m glad your feeling better and I hope you can accept my apology. I posted a meme that was floating around. I wouldn’t have done that if I knew you was really hurt sorry. 🤷🏽♂️”