Student gets fined £50 because their mate burnt some toast

Everyone had to evacuate the halls, which is bad enough

A uni punished a student whose guest burnt some toast by hitting them with a £50 fine.

UEA levied the student with the fine after the guest burnt some toast and set off the fire alarm.

Details obtained by The Tab show the university logged the incident, which took place in 2016/17, as: “Hosted unauthorised guest who burnt toast, activated fire alarm and caused evacuation – student was then uncooperative with security”.

In other incidents at the uni, two separate students were fined £50 each for using a toaster in their room, setting off the fire alarm.

Two unlucky students also got given a £25 fine for the simple crime of causing a noise complaint by singing too loudly.

It’s the latest in a string of explosive revelations on the high crimes and misdemeanours of the country’s loutish students. A student at the University of Chester who tried to falsely sign into a lecture despite not actually being there found themselves slapped with a £100 fine.

Manchester cracked down on 47 students trying to get away with lighting incense or candles in their room by slapping them with fines.