Image may contain: Finger, Beard, Face, Human, Person, Accessories, Accessory, Glasses

Corbyn promises children will be taught about the evils of the British Empire

The manifesto plans to teach ‘historical injustices’

Jeremy Corbyn has promised children will be taught about the evils of the British Empire.

Labour's "race and faith" manifesto plans to teach "historical injustice" and "colonialism" in their national curriculum under a Labour government.

Corbyn calls for a great for a larger focus on black Britons' role in the country's history.

This promise is part of the wider issue of addressing Britain's "colonial legacy", particularly the "violence and insecurity" it has caused in its former colonies.

Image may contain: Room, Audience, Crowd, Stage, Person, Human, Interior Design, Indoors

Corbyn speaking at Labour's race and faith manifesto launch

The Labour party also proposes to address the legacy of slavery and to teach children how slavery "interrupted a rich and powerful black history."

Corbyn has already called for a larger focus on the role of black British people in the country's history along with other black activists and intellectuals who played significant roles in worldwide liberation movements.

The race and faith manifesto also specifically proposes to review the under-representation of minority teachers in schools as well as create a "race equality unit" in the Treasury to help review government spending on ethnic minorities.

Currently, black African teachers make up only 1.3 per cent of male teachers and 0.7 per cent of female teachers.

Image may contain: Alloy Wheel, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Pedestrian, Car Wheel, Spoke, Tire, Wheel, Machine, Human, Person

Corbyn addressed these statistics, saying: "Labour is the party of equality and human rights. Our Race and Faith Manifesto presents our unshakeable commitment to challenge the inequalities and discrimination that has faced too many communities.

"Whatever your background, wherever you are from, whatever your faith or religious belief, you should have the chance to use your talents to fulfil your potential.

"Labour will tackle head-on the barriers that have unfairly held back so any people and communities. Labour is on your side and this election is a once-in-a-generation chance for real change for many, not the few."

In a speech, Corbyn said: "Labour is the party of equality and human rights. Our Race and Faith Manifesto presents our unshakable commitment to challenge the inequalities and discrimination that has faced too many communities.

“Labour will tackle head-on the barriers that have unfairly held back so many people and communities. Labour is on your side and this election is a once-in-a-generation chance for real change for the many, not the few.”

Corbyn was joined by Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, and and Dawn Butler, the shadow equalities minister, who said: “Only by acknowledging the historical injustices faced by our communities can we work towards a better future that is prosperous for all, that isn’t blighted by austerity and the politics of fear.”

Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Text, Billboard, Advertisement, Person, Human

However, outside the launch, the tension over anti-semitism in Labour was evident. Protestors parked billboards saying "A vote for Labour is a vote for racism" outside the manifesto launch, and Corbyn arrived to crowds holding "racist Corbyn" placards.