Image may contain: Text Message, Human, Person, Texting, Hand-Held Computer, Computer, Mobile Phone, Phone, Cell Phone, Electronics, Text

These are the wildest examples of people texting their ‘number neighbour’

How can this be so creepy yet so wholesome?

It's another day and with that comes another meme challenge. This time, it's texting your 'number neighbour' and posting the weird responses for everyone to see.

People either seem to get really creepy responses or become best pals with their number neighbour. There's no in between. If you're not familiar with the latest craze, here's what the number neighbour challenge is, and some of the wildest examples of people doing it.

What is your text-door number neighbour and how does the challenge work?

Everyone should have two number neighbours, or text-door neighbours. Your number neighbour is whoever is next to your phone number either side. It's the person with the last digit of the number as one number higher or lower than yours.

E.g. if your number ends in "3" your number neighbour will have exactly the same phone number as you, except theirs will either end in "2" or "4". Hence, being your number neighbour!!!

In the challenge, people are texting the person with the neighbouring number, and posting on Twitter the response they get.

According to Know Your Meme, the origin of the meme came from back in 2018 when someone on Urban Dictionary defined "Text Door Neighbour" as "the people who are a digit either side of your phone number. Many a friendship has been struck up by saying hi to a text door neighbour."

The meme has gone viral again, after a Twitter user texted his number neighbour and then asked his followers to do the same:

These are the best examples of people texting their number neighbour

1. That escalated quickly

2. She took his … KIDNEY?!

3. How neighbourly!

Image may contain: Number neighbour, text door, neighbour, twitter, challenge, meme, examples, what is, how to do, explained, origin, tweet, Human, Person, Text

4. Wow this one hurt

5. I have so much faith in this friendship

6. Excuse me WHAT

Image may contain: Number neighbour, text door, neighbour, twitter, challenge, meme, examples, what is, how to do, explained, origin, tweet, prank, numberneighbour, Text Message, Person, Human, Text

7. This is sad

8. Wow, beautiful

9. Area 51 x number neighbour is the meme crossover we needed

10. I mean, they were being nice at least

11. Same

Image may contain: Number neighbour, text door, neighbour, twitter, challenge, meme, examples, what is, how to do, explained, origin, tweet, prank, Text Message, Person, Human, Text

12. Surely not?!

13. Loooool ok then

Image may contain: Number neighbour, text door, neighbour, twitter, challenge, meme, examples, what is, how to do, explained, origin, tweet, Text Message, Text

14. This is plain weird

15. Tell me all about Terry please x

16. Hahahaha they really did that to you

17. His number neighbour had been waiting :/

Image may contain: Number neighbour, text door, neighbour, twitter, challenge, meme, examples, what is, how to do, explained, origin, tweet, memes, best, funny, creepy, Text Message, Text

18. THIS ABSOLUTELY DID NOT HAPPEN

19. "You kids and your weird shenanigans"

20. After seeing these, this is me rn