46 dating app openers to copy and paste when you have zero game
You will be engaged before you know it
When you start a new message on Tinder your mind goes completely blank. Where's the endless list of dating app openers when you need it? With all the abs and bikini selfies flying round, it's hard to even remember how to spell helo. Wait, Heello? Heylo? Helllo? Ffs.
The best thing to do is not overthink it. They matched with you too, which means that for some reason they were attracted to you. Maybe buck teeth, lazy eyes and monobrows are coming back this year? Regardless, stop stressing. All it takes is one good line and you're set. Here's 46 dating app openers for your copy and pasting pleasure:
1. "What's the worst opening line you've ever received?"
At least this will tell you what not to do in the future. Fingers crossed they don't say, "this one".
2. "Cheese, pepperoni, or Hawaiian?"
Each one of these answers has an identity behind it and obviously pineapple is the best.
3. I like a man/woman in *insert something they are wearing in a picture*
Bonus points if it's an item of clothing you actually hate but will pretend to like!
4. "What's the best place you've ever travelled to?”
Dating app openers like this one set you up for ultimate gap-yah bragging rights. "Wait, you passed out on the beach after a full-moon party in Thailand??? So did I!" Bonding at it's finest.
5. "Why did you swipe right?"
Just for the ego boost.
6. "What GIF best describes you and why?”
A bit rogue but if you manage to have a full conversation in just gifs you know that they're a keeper.
7. "What's your star sign?"
For when you literally have nothing else to say.
9. "You have 48 hours left on earth. What do you do?"
If they don't say watch all 10 seasons of Friends back-to-back, are they really right for you?
10. "Hey xx"
See: Dating app openers for if you're a fuckboy or that unimaginative.
11. “Did it hurt when you fell down from heaven?”
Only joking haha.
15. “So let’s get the tough question out of the way first – toilet paper, over the top or under the roll?”
In the grand scheme of life, these things really matter.
16. “When can I take you out?"
There's no faffing here.
17. “(lemon emoji). Sorry, I couldn’t find an opening lime.”
Because someone out there will enjoy this.
18. “I’m free Friday at 7pm, work for you?”
To the point with no awkward small talk.
19. “Ngl, I was really hoping you’d swipe right for me.”
Shows you actually swiped them on purpose and not just accidentally or because you were playing a numbers game. I see you.
20. The 'whale hello there' GIF
An old classic x
21. “I don’t flirt, but I will seduce you with my awkwardness. Is it working yet?”
Self-deprecating humour will always work.
22. “I bet my dog would like you.”
Implies that they're a nice person and, more importantly, THAT YOU HAVE A DOG.
23. “What actor would play you in the movie of your life?”
This will tell you all about their film taste so you can tailor your Netflix and chill recommendations – sneaky.
24. “What’s the nerdiest thing you’re willing to admit?”
Reading Love Island fan fiction may be a step too far.
25. "I don’t know who’d be more excited about us dating, me or my mum."
Mummy's boys – The dating app version of Marmite.
26. “Describe yourself in three emojis.”
Aubergine, aubergine, aubergine.
27. “I’m still single, in case you’re wondering. You?”
Good for when you've left messaging them a bit too long.
28. “I had a great opening line, but you’re so fit I've completely forgotten it.”
Clearly all lies, but what they don't know won't hurt them.
29. “If you were a fruit, you'd be a fineapple."
30. “Your parents won't like me. I can already tell.”
Ultimate bad boy vibes in only nine words. You're welcome. x
31. “Feel like lowering your standards and going on a date with me?”
This makes you seem humble (even though you're actually a huge fuckboy and know you're god's gift to women).
32. “Two truths and a lie – go.”
Everyone loves to brag. No one has ever gone: I'm lazy, I've cheated on all my ex-girlfriends, I only shower once a month, have they?
33. "Does this mean we're married now?"
Just think of your beautiful babies.
34. “You're not one of those people who claps when the plane lands, are you?"
They should be culled.
35. “What’s the most embarrassing thing I’ll find if I Google you?”
A good excuse for you to have a social stalk without looking like a creep.
36. “What's your favourite alcoholic drink?"
After this tell them you want to take them out for said drink. Also means you know what to order them at the bar on the first date.
37. “Do you have a dog?"
It's best to be clear and lay your priorities out from the start.
38. “So when our grandchildren ask us how we met, what are we going to tell them?”
Tbf by that point everyone will probably be saying Tinder or Bumble.
39. "I have four per cent battery remaining. I chose to message you. Did I choose wisely?”
An honour x
40. "Will you be my student debt? Because I'd like to have you around for the rest of my life.”
Or at least the next 35 years or until you permanently move out of the country.
41. “I’ll cook you dinner if you cook me breakfast.”
42. "I'm doing a survey: What's your name? What's your number? And are you free this weekend?"
Although don't tell them you've sent this to 20 other girls in the past 10 minutes.
43. "Wanna go to Greggs?"
It's a staple of life, so why not bond with someone over a sausage roll?
44. If you were a Greggs bake, which one would you be?
Steak bake crew obviously worth marrying.
45. What's your go-to meal deal?
Genuinely important to find this out.
46. Sainsbury's, Tesco or Boots – who has the best meal deal?
Dating app openers such as this one are critical as to whether your relationship will last.