The Theatre Guide Dog Awards Michaelmas 2011

THE THEATRE GUIDE DOG decides it's time for giving some awards to some plays.

Thesps, audience, comments-cunts, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Cam-theatre, not to praise it.

The evil that shows do live after them;
The good is often interred with the curtain-close.

But hey, everyone loves goodies. And I’ve been informed some of you have worked very, very hard this term, so I’ll allow it. And if there’s any faction of Cambridge society which needs more back-patting and flattery, it’s the theatre scene, right?

Best Show

We’ll start nice and easy, shall we? I know some of you are a little slow now term’s over. Some of you are also just a little slow. But that’s OK.

A Night with Joe Rubini and the Spooks

The Orphanarium of Erthing Worthing

Jerry Springer the Opera

Scrooge & Marley

Nonsense

Worst Slating

For the most schadenfreude proffered from an online piece of writing since 16 May 2011.

Macbeth

Sweeney Todd

Tartuffe

FRESHER: The Musical

You’ve Burnt the Parsnips

The Two Gentlemen of Verona

Worst Response to a Review

I know how much you like crying about reviews. Some of you do it so hard/loudly/disgustingly I thought you even deserved a prize for it. Sort of.

Macbeth

Act Casual

Tartuffe

Grimm Tales

Beginning, Middle, End

Treasure Island

The Spirit of Theatre Award

A shiny new award, for those of you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed enough to pay attention. It isn’t always the flashiest or the expensive-est or the loudest shows which show the most cojones. The most ambition. The most innovation. The most spirit. It isn’t even always the most good shows. Or maybe it is. I don’t know. (I do, I’m just not telling you. Work it out yourselves.)

Jerry Springer the Opera

Beginning, Middle, End

Scrooge & Marley

The 24 Hour Plays

Fierce

Most Incorrect Review

Think you can do our job better than us, you scum of the comments section? Well you can’t. But we’ll let you feebly attempt to get one back at us, whether it be for our blazing criticism or our swashbuckling style – whichever you found yourself least able to handle. Your turn to try and make one of us cry. Go on, I dare you.

Act Casual

Sweeney Todd

Tartuffe

Grimm Tales

Treasure Island

Voting closes on Friday 16th December at midnight. Results will be announced the following day. Oh. And uh, Merry Christmas I guess. 

• What…

I'm sorry but the Broody review was the biggest pile of shit I've ever read.

• Theatre

I vote Tony Dent

• Theatre Scum

I understand you're new to this, but please stop trying to be edgy, it makes you seem like a total cunt.

What happened to genuine categories like best late show, best musical etc? Three of your categories(out of five!!!) are about reviews, which leaves best show and worst show.

Bring back old theatre guide dog, this one's lame.

• Theatre Chum

Best late show is a stupid category, the only thing that distinguishes them is the time they're on, why should that be relevant for an award? And best musical? How many have there been?

Different categories from the ones I want? CUNT!
      What an unpleasant person you must be to be around. Cheer up, chuckles, it's Christmas.

• tosspot

Oh come on moron, these tab awards mean absolutely nothing. The only people who vote are friends with the shows or reviewers for the tab. Why not embrace their ridiculous nature and make them more self-consciously silly. twat.

• oh what!?!?

shut up! how. dare. you. i look forward to these awards because nobody else recognises the amount of effort we all put into every show. be it actors, directors, writers, co-directors, co-writers, actresses, artistic supervisors, set designers, coriograffers, dance positioners, producers, co-producers, understudies, actors or behind the scenes/technical-other, we all put in a bloody load of work. screw you. and i really hope that i win this year (i won't tell you which show i was involved with because it weren't nominated).

P.S: I was in Rustly Brown Trousers as Chuckle understudy 2.

• James Swanton

The Scrooge & Marley campaign video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6jMkkuncpI

• Emma Violet

I love this.

• Happy

This is so great! I'm voting Scrooge and Marley!

• Peter Andre

The campaign video for every play except Scrooge & Marley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0_IlD7c14

• Aroused

Perfect material for a quicky…

• TPJ

I like to watch plays when I'm not training for the U21s!

• TPJ

I am always trainging for U21's!

• TPJ

I only smell from trainging for the U21's.

• Lame

Nothing kills a comments section quicker than this TPJ shit.

• TTH

It doesn't matter because after Broody we don't need theatre any more.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Tab Tries: Craigslist

Craigslist is a strange and magical place. Just in time for May Week, have The Tab found the solution to your pathetically bad love life?

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

, Assistant Editor

That ‘cube personality test’ everyone is sharing is actually a pickup artist scam

It won’t tell you anything about yourself

, Editor, The Tab Brookes

Rhodes Must Fall founder has received ‘a flow of death threats’

The university had to step in to discuss his health and safety

Your old Beauty and the Beast VHS could be worth £800

Bet you gave it to a charity shop years ago

Brummie is the ugliest accent in the UK

Over 8,000 of you voted in our poll

, Cardiff Editor at The Tab

I asked my friends why they think I’m single

Some were brutal

The NUS black students’ conference have voted to ban prisons

The motion was called ‘Prisons are Obsolete! Abolish Them Now!’