Here is a rundown of what is happening in York for Pride 2022

The Pride Parade is tomorrow!

The last two years have seen the cancellation of York Pride events due to Covid-19 restrictions. But York Pride is BACK this year with a wide range of events happening across the City and the university to celebrate.

This month, the city walls will be bright in rainbow colours to illuminate York with Pride and Wednesday saw the University’s raising of the progress pride flag.

Here is a run down of what is happening in York for Pride Month.

Pride flag on campus. Via @uniofyork on Instagram

York Pride Parade

The annual York Pride Parade will take place tomorrow, Saturday 18th June in the City Centre. It will leave from outside the Minster at 12pm and will then go down Parliament Street, across High Ousegate and along Bishopthorpe Road before finishing at the Knavesmire (Tadcaster Road End) around 1pm.

The live entertainment and festival will then begin with performances from Girls Aloud star Nadine Coyle and RuPaul’s Drag Race star Divina De Campo.

The event is entirely free and open to all with an autism-friendly quiet hour before the parade begins.

There will also be food stalls, a bar and local business and charity stalls.

Via @yorkpride on Instagram

Pride’s afterparty will then be held at Ziggys Nightclub on Micklegate.

More information on the event can be found here, and it is certainly not something to be missed!

For York students, YUSU LGBTQ+ will be holding a pre-meet for the Pride parade meeting at 10 am at Greg’s Place on campus and joining the parade at the Minster.

Pride Cabaret

YUSU LGBTQ+ has also got a wide range of campus events on offer this month including their Pride Cabaret on Saturday 25th of June.

This will include a night of drag acts and entertainment. It will be held in The Lounge on campus and tickets (which cost £2) are available here. If you would like to perform at the Pride Cabaret you can also sign up here!

LGBTQ+ Movie Night

Another on-campus event ran by YUSU LGBTQ+ is an LGBTQ+ movie night on Tuesday 21st June where The Talented Mr Ripley will be screened. This will be held in the Derwent SCR and will begin at 7:30pm.

For more information about on-campus events, follow @yusu+lgbtq on Instagram.

Happy Celebrating!

Feature image credited to William Fonteneau on Unsplash.

The Tab’s Pride reporting series is putting a focus on highlighting LGBTQ+ issues and celebrating queer voices across UK campuses.

If you’ve got a story you’d like to tell us – whether it’s an incident of homophobia on campus, an experience you’d like to share, or anything you think we should hear, get in touch in confidence by emailing [email protected]

Related stories recommended by this writer

All the support networks available to LGBTQ+ students in York

Take our homophobia on campus survey and help us expose the problem at unis

A rundown of all the big gay Pride events happening this summer