University of York ask graduates for song choices for virtual graduation

They want to crowdsource videos of graduates singing and dancing

The University of York recently emailed graduates to be to let them know that a virtual graduation would be taking place in August.

It was previously confirmed that Students in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities will have their graduation on 26th August 2020, those in the Faculty of Social Sciences will have their’s on 27th August whilst those in the Faculty of Sciences will have their graduation take place on 28th August. The ceremonies are likely to take place between 12PM and 2PM BST on the respective dates/

Yesterday, a further email was sent to graduates to ask them to help choose a song for the virtual graduation ceremonies.

The email read: “Dear student,

“Help us pick a song for virtual Graduation!”

“You’re the most important part of your graduation ceremony, so we want to crowdsource videos of you singing or dancing to a song, to be played as part of the virtual ceremony. But first we need to pick the song.

“You can submit as many suggestions as you would like, and the planning group will pick a shortlist of songs to be voted on by all students.

“Submit your song suggestions by 3PM on Thursday 18th June.”

In addition to the virtual graduations, students will also be given opportunities to return to campus to don a gown and mortarboard when it is safe to do so.

Caitlin, a graduate-to-be, told The York Tab: “Honestly it’s so cringe, the thought of everybody dancing and singling like we are the cast of High School Musical 2020.”

Students wishing to submit a song choice can do so here. The deadline for submissions is at 3PM tomorrow before voting will commence.