York crowned uni of the year by new awards

Lancaster can do one

We’ve been named uni of the year at an education conference in the North of England.

After York’s league table ranking fell by six places in the Guardian, we were all feeling a little disheartened – but thanks to a panel of educational and business professionals we’ve finally been recognised as the excellent institution we are.

Educate North is a new conference run in association with the Telegraph aiming to “celebrate the success and growth of the knowledge sector across the North of England”.

The judging criteria included outstanding teaching, research, student experience and economic impact.

According to judges, York is a “huge contributor to the economy of Yorkshire”.

It’s safe to say Efes are reaping the economic benefits but it’s reassuring to know we’re contributing on a larger schedule.

They added: “York’s ethos is inclusion for all with a great social mix of undergraduates, and they are targeting student engagement… they are really making a mark and are now able to branch out internationally.”

and the merch is cute, too

and the merch is cute, too

Other winners included Huddersfield as new university of the year, Chester as student union of the year and Lancaster, who received the commercial engagement award.

Where else do you find the Minster, the largest man-made lake in Europe, the birthplace of duckoftheday.com and now the university of the year for 2015?