What your Sheffield pres playlist says about you

No one cares that you know all the lyrics to ‘Funky Friday’

It’s a Friday night, or a Wednesday if you’re feeling brave, and the time has come to start drinking with your friends to prepare for a night out on the streets of Sheffield. Yet, the responsibility of aux has been passed to you.

Regardless of everyone else’s taste, it’s time to reveal who you really are. Your playlist is your identity, and how others may perceive and categorise you is uncontrollable from the moment you press play. It’s a big moment. You certainly don’t want to give the wrong impression.

So, here’s the cliché of what your Sheffield pres playlist says about you – to help you decide what way to go.

Indie Music – The wannabe northerner

Despite believing you stand out for your alternative music taste, your shuffle is just a repeat of The Smiths and Oasis. However, in a move that you can be sure no one has ever done before, you’ve decided to add all of Arctic Monkeys’ music to your playlist to begin your transition into a proper Sheffield student.

After a few vodka orange juices, you’ll head to a Friday night at The Leadmill, where you’ll rinse your Leadmill card and won’t leave the indie room until “Do I Wanna Know?” plays.

House – Someone play Fred Again

First year at uni has somehow led you to believe you have the skills to be a DJ, so you’ve purchased a deck, hoping a flat invites you over to DJ at their flat party tonight.

Your favourite drinking game is Ring of Fire, and you’ll try to persuade your mates to come with you to Tank next Monday. Although your playlist is just Fisher and Fred Again on repeat, it gets everyone dancing and ready to hit West Street for a messy night.

Taylor Swift – The loyal fanbase

You know your playlist is like Marmite, so you stay in your room preing by yourself. You’ve been ready since this afternoon, waiting for your friends to come around to play Never Have I Ever.

After nearly finishing a cheap bottle of rosé and blasting “You Belong With Me” on repeat, you’re ready to spend your night in Tiger Works and leave early for some cheesy chips.

Slow music – Wishing they said no to the night out

It’s finally time to pre, but ordering a £5 Domino’s and binge-watching a series seems more appealing than a night out. You definitely study science or an engineering degree and know the 9am lecture the next day is going to hurt.

Your Hinge date never replied, so you know you’ll end up in Molly Malone’s singing “Hey Jude” by yourself until it’s time to head to bed with nothing but left over cheesy chips to comfort you.

Rap – Anyone wanna go Vipers?

At pres, you own the room when you start rapping along to Dave’s whole album.

You’re either a posh boy from Surrey trying to blend in (with Daddy sending you money for nights out), or, you have a great taste in a variety of artists, hoping to impress your new flatmates with your non-mainstream playlist whilst downing a couple cans. Drinking games aren’t your thing so, you proceed to watch repeats of drill music videos, recreating the moves.

DnB – The morning headache

The classic case of the DnB bug caught you and now the only appropriate sound you can hype yourself up with is Chase and Status at full blast. You refuse to use Spotify and instead, suggest SoundCloud when asking to connect to the speaker.

It’s obvious you’ve rinsed all your money at Sunken Monday events so you rely on your other housemates to share their drinks with you. Despite the begging, and the headache from your playlist on repeat, you ensure you get tickets for the best headliners and events in Sheffield for you and your mates.

Related stories recommended by this writer