The general election in Sheffield: Who students can vote for on July 4th

The candidates competing in next month’s general election have been confirmed

Last Friday, candidates in July’s general election were confirmed. Students will vote in two constituencies: Sheffield Hallam and Sheffield Central.

The Sheffield Hallam seat covers Endcliffe and parts of Crookes. Sheffield Central covers the city centre, Netherthorpe, Broomhill and the rest of Crookes.

Sheffield Hallam will be a focus of media attention on election night, and an exciting opportunity for student voters to influence the outcome in one of only a few Liberal Democrat-Labour battlegrounds in the entire country.

Sheffield Hallam is one of the most affluent seats outside of London and the South-East. Photo via Google streetview

The current incumbent is Labour MP Olivia Blake, a former shadow minister for climate change, who’s been an MP since 2019.

She took over the seat from  Jared O’Mara who was convicted of fraud last year.

He became the seat’s MP after ousting former Liberal Democrat leader and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg at the 2017 general election, winning by a margin of little more than 2,000 votes.

Olivia Blake is facing Shaffaq Mohammed, who is currently the Liberal Democrat leader on Sheffield Council, and is also a former member of the European Parliament.

Both candidates are alumni of the University of Sheffield.

The full list of candidates for Sheffield Hallam is: Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU), Andrew Cowell (SDP), Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) and Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Workers Party).

Sheffield Central is a much safer Labour seat. The Green Party candidate, Angela Argenzio, is expected to be the main challenger to Labour’s Abtisam Mohamed, but will not likely come close to winning the seat.

In October 2022, the selection of the Labour candidate for Sheffield Central garnered nationwide attention when transgender comedian, and major Labour donor Eddie Izzard fought eventual winner councillor Abtisam Mohamed in a close race.

The full list of candidates for Sheffield Central is: Angela Argenzio (Green),  Sam Christmas (Liberal Democrat), Isabelle France (TUSC), Caitlin Hardy (Workers Party), Abtisam Mohamed (Labour), Lucy Stephenson (Conservative), Annie Stoker (SDP) and Alison Teal (Independent).

Featured image via YouTube