Hotlist: Week five

Push away those fifth week blues with a bit of Ugandan xylophone music

The ISIS Presents: Twist & Shout

Everyone’s favourite (non Islamic State based) magazine hosts a ’60s themed music night in Freud. Luckily the only thing ’60s related will be the tunes; the height of the cold war and struggles against European Colonialism will not be replicated in Jericho.

Where: Freud

When: Tuesday 10.30pm

Details: Here

Oxford Fringe: As You Psyche It

Come and witness the Radio 4 comedians of tomorrow show off their sharp wits. The title is a bad Shakespearian pun and the plot revolves around a progressive therapy group: should be hilarious.

Where: Arts at the Old Fire Station

When: Tuesday at 8.30pm, Friday and Saturday at 9.50pm

Details: Here

Never Mind Where Your Daughter Lies

With a title reading like a line from a progressive parenting guide, this dark farce, which borders between Jacobean revenge tragedy and 17th century comedy, will be captivating. Support student theatre and kick back.

Where: Keble O’Reilly

When: Wednesday to Saturday, 7.30pm

Details: Here

The Embaire Xylophone Returns!

After being restored by a community group in Cowley, the spectacular Ugandan Embaire xylophone returns to the Pitt Rivers. This will be celebrated with an evening of Ugandan music and songs, jam sessions for people of all ages and good vibes.

Where: Pitt Rivers Museum

When: Thursday, 2-4pm

Details: Here

Tinariwen at Oxford Town Hall

The kings of Malian Tuareg folk music are coming to OX1 and we should all be there. Tinariwen are Grammy Award winning artists who blend blues, folk and traditional West African guitar based ‘assouf’ melodies. Broaden your horizons and let Tinariwen take you on a journey.

Where: Oxford Town Hall

When: Friday, 7-10pm

Details: Here

An Evening of Housework: LAUNCH

If you don’t mind breaking the Sabbath and incurring eternal damnation then come to the opening of Oxford’s newest house and disco club night. An all day and night open-air launch on Oxford Retreat’s balcony from the people that think Cellar is shit is the perfect way to distract you from the prospect of impending exams, 5 more years of Tory government and inevitable death. (It’s okay you can pretend that you like house)

Where: The Oxford Retreat

When: Sunday 4pm-12am

Details: Here