Image may contain: People, Brochure, Paper, Flyer, Footwear, Shoe, Clothing, Apparel, Poster, Advertisement, Crowd, Protest, Parade, Human, Person

BREAKING: UCU announces more strikes at Notts

They could last up to 14 days

The UCU has announced that more strike action will take place in February and March. This will be the second wave of strikes this academic year, following eight days of action back in November and December.

UoN will be one of 74 universities affected by strikes, whose staff are walking out over disputes of pensions, equality, pay and workloads. This is an increase from 60 which took action in November and December.

The strike action will take place over several weeks. It may last as long as 14 days if no agreement is made before its conclusion.

The proposed strike days are as follows:

Week one – Thursday 20 & Friday 21 February

Week two – Monday 24, Tuesday 25 & Wednesday 26 February

Week three – Monday 2, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4 & Thursday 5 March

Week four – Monday 9, Tuesday 10, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12 & Friday 13 March

Failure for an agreement to be made before the end of the strikes will result in another ballot of UCU members. In the event the ballot has a turnout over 50% and voters support continued action, it means strikes could happen again later this academic year.

The UCU's general secretary Jo Grady claims that more members now back the strikes than before.

To find out more about the strikes, click here.