Image may contain: Building, Team, Ice Hockey, Team Sport, People, Ice Skating, Skating, Sports, Rink, Sport, Human, Person

UoN claim Varsity Ice Hockey victory against Trent

It was the highest scoring hockey fixture in varsity history

After a heavily anticipated wait, the Varsity Ice Hockey results for 2019 have been confirmed, with UoN retaining their title and beating Trent by a score of 9-6.

The tense match, held at the Motorpoint Arena, saw Trent and UoN supporters segregated across the pitch. Keen to follow last year's 4-2 victory against Trent, the pressure was undeniably high for the UoN team.

Image may contain: Stadium, Airplane, Vehicle, Aircraft, Transportation, Architecture, Arena, Crowd, Audience, Building, Human, Person

The first goal was scored four minutes in by UoN and then again with just two minutes left in the first period, leaving the score at 2-1 to UoN at the initial stage.

The second period was even more exciting, with three additional goals scored by Trent and an impressive five added to UoN's total. In fact, UoN scored with two and a half seconds left of the second game, leaving a score of 4-7 to Uni Of Notts as the second period ended.

There were many nail biting moments, with disallowed goals on both sides that saw the crowds booing in disagreement.

Image may contain: Building, Ice Hockey, Team, Team Sport, Hockey, Skating, Ice Skating, Rink, Sport, Sports, People, Human, Person

After an extremely well played third period, the final score resulted in what we had all been hoping for: a UoN victory.

The final result was as follows: Uni of Nottinghmam 9-6 Trent.

UoN ended with 39 shots on goal, with Trent on 26.

Members of the Notts Ice Hockey Team threw their helmets and sticks onto the ice and proceeded to unite in a team hug in celebration.

This win took the overall Varsity score to 5-3 to Uni of Nottingham.

Image may contain: Team Sport, Ice Hockey, Team, Huddle, People, Crowd, Skating, Ice Skating, Sport, Sports, Rink, Human, Person