Image may contain: Motel, Hotel, Building, Theater, Room, Interior Design, Indoors, Cinema

A Nottingham student was caught using a fake credit card in Iceland by an off-duty police officer

He purchased the fake card on Facebook

A Nottingham University student was apprehended after an off-duty police officer caught him red-handed attempting to purchase £500 worth of gift cards from Iceland in Ilkeston.

Richie Lukombo, a 21-year-old finance student studying at the University of Nottingham, purchased the fake American Express credit card over Facebook.

In an interview with police, he elaborated on his fraudulent purchase, quoting "because he thought it was cool".

The casher staff at Iceland became suspicious after realising the card lacked a chip and a pin.

Lukombo fled the store before getting caught by an off-duty police officer who was in the store at the time.

In court, Lukombo pleaded guilty to four counts of fraud, one relating to trying to use one card and three of possessing other fake credit cards which were found in his possession.

He was handed a six-week community order, with curfew. District Judge Jonathan Taaffe also ordered Lukombo to pay £85 prosecution costs and an £85 victim surcharge.