UEA to postpone all graduation ceremonies until 2022

UEA said there are ‘increasing concerns that the UK will experience a third wave of the pandemic in the summer’

UEA has announced it will be postponing the graduation ceremonies of the classes of 2020 and 2021 to 2022. The decision was made in the hope that “the pandemic will be under greater control and social restrictions will hopefully be completely lifted”.

In an email sent to all students, Vice-Chancellor David Richardson described the “increasing concerns that the UK will experience a third wave of the pandemic in the summer which could lead to further restrictions on international travel and socialising”. He reassured students he had “explored all possible options for this year in consultation with uea(su) student representatives”.

He said: “It is with a great deal of sadness that unfortunately I have to announce that this year’s graduation ceremony has been postponed.

“The focus instead will be to look ahead to 2022, when the pandemic will be under greater control and social restrictions will hopefully be completely lifted, to enable all our students to come back to UEA to celebrate their graduation in the way they want to.

“I hope you understand the reasons for this very difficult decision; and join with me in looking forward to 2022. You will be able to find out more about the plans for 2022 via the Save The Date website as they evolve”.