A little bit of romanchester: The Tab’s guide to Valentines Day

Here’s what you should be doing in Manchester on Friday – whether you’re single or coupled up

Whether you’re a single-pringle, newly dating, smug and loved up or ‘it’s complicated’ The Tab’s guide for the 14th of February ensures that this Valentine’s Day will be one to remember

Couples

560111_10151532151972185_307134963_n

Cute

Spend some much needed one-on-one time with someone special this Valentines Day with the Tab’s top 5 dates for couples.

1. The chill factore

Best for those who can actually ski

Best for those who can actually ski

For something a little more unusual, enjoy some exhilarating alpine activities with your valentine at Manchester’s indoor skiing and snowboarding slope. Fun, adventurous and cheaper than Val-d’isere.

2. Dinner for two

australasia-tree

Snazzy

Treat someone special to dinner at stylish underground restaurant Australasia in Spinningfields. Though it’s a busy restaurant, the tables provide an intimate space leaving you to spend some quality time with each other.

kosmos

If you can bear a restaurant full of student couples

For a more pocket-friendly restaurant choice head to Fallowfield’s hidden gem- KOSMOS Taverna for delicious Greek food, a romantic atmosphere and student friendly prices. Alternatively, if you’ve left it late to book a table for dinner, pop to the northern quarter for a relaxing valentine’s breakfast

3. Comedy night

frogb

Guaranteed lols

valentines-deal-frogbucket

Don’t actually click here

Have a laugh with your loved one at multi-award winning comedy club Frog and Bucket (the site of Peter Kays first shows!) The ticket includes a two course meal as well as an after show disco.

4. A bit of culture

800px-Manchester_Eye_1

And you’ve probably never been on it before

If you’re after a valentines date with a bit of culture without splashing the cash, visit one of Manchester’s museums or galleries (there’s a great coral exhibition on at the Manchester Museum) and finish the day with a ride on the Ferris wheel at Piccadilly gardens.

5. Lyme park

Lyme_Park_House_and_Garden_Stockport_c2_Alan_Novelli_1000_664_80

Maybe not quite as pretty in Feb

If being surrounded by loved-up couples at this time of year isn’t your cup of tea – take your valentine on a trip to Elizabethan Stately home Lyme Park, home to BBC’s first adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Just a short drive from Manchester, Lyme Park’s lush gardens and deer park are perfect for romantic walks with beautiful views.

Singles

528035_10152561232125075_124164060_n

Fighting back the tears

Who says you need a date for Valentine’s Day? If you don’t fancy drowning your sorrows at home with a bottle of wine and Ben and Jerry’s here are some ways to celebrate as a singleton.

1. Speed dating

speeddating

For the impatient singleton

Single and ready to mingle? Label in Deansgate is one of the many places holding a valentines speed-dating event on Thursday the 14th of February to find that special someone in time for Valentine’s.

2. My bloody valentine

473514_0_manchester-murder-mysteries-presents-39my-bloody-valentine39_400

Manchester Murder Mysteries presents a specially written Valentine’s murder mystery night at Odder Bar. Bring some single friends or couples along for ‘a night of intrigue, suspense and murder, along with a good dose of humour’.

3. Peak district

252344_10200688320043589_1621189191_n

For the outdoorsy

Escape from the city to frolic in the beautiful setting of the peak district. Perfect for a peaceful weekend away with some friends or a refreshing outdoorsy day trip.

4. Go out and get smashed

469288_1_256-pres-no-hassle-ft-alexis-raphael-hot-creationsjackathonhot-waves-256-wilmslow-rd-mcr-fri-14th-feb-2014_400

Probably your best bet

For an anti-Valentines night, DJ/Producer Alexis Raphael is playing at 256 in Fallowfield where you can dance the night away for just a fiver. And you might even pull.

5. Pandora’s

485537559_95f2940a7c_o

At the end of the night there’s always Pandora’s

If all else fails, there’s always a chance of valentines romance at the mysterious Pandora’s massage parlour. (If you’re really desperate.)