The Varsity match that wasn’t cancelled…

UCL win 4-1 in latest battle on the court against King’s College London.

| UPDATED King's College London london sport Squash Squash Club ucl UCLU varsity

When thinking of a Varsity match, one immediately hopes for a bit of drama and eagerly anticipates the possibility of a fight breaking out. However, the Squash Varsity, which took place on Monday 4th February was rather tame with both teams enjoying this healthy rivalry.

The Varsity was kicked off by Achim Newrzella and Callum Deakin who had the full support of the crowd behind them. Achim got off to a solid start in his match, battling his way to a winning position through some excellent play. Despite an injury scare, Achim produced a powerful display and was drilling the ball powerfully into the corners, battering his opponent with each passing shot.

On the other court, Callum was fighting hard against his opponent as well as keeping the crowd entertained with a masterful display of dives and elegant shots. It was a riveting match to watch and a great effort from Callum, but ultimately ended in King’s sole victory of the day.

Tense moments during the injury scare

After a strong effort from both players, it was Greg Mason’s turn to step onto the court. Greg had clearly done his homework; a well planned strategy came to fruition in a professional display. Greg’s sublime play and ruthlessness on the court forced his opponent to run endlessly, making the arena seem like a great expanse for his King’s counterpart. Not only was Greg quick on his feet but he also played some deceptive shots, much to the delight of the crowd.

Josh Wong played extremely well on the other court, ripping his opponent apart. He was clearly inspired from his game last week and he won his game decisively (as the score suggests) and thoroughly deserved the win. He really showed his class which bodes extremely well for the upcoming Play-Off against Loughborough University.

After the masterful performance last week (against Reading), the crowd were
expecting a thriller from Will Tizard. Will lived up to the expectations and reduced his opponent to a few desperate shots. Will let his graceful shots do all the talking on court and there was not one ball that he let past him. He was evidently in full control
and what was expected to last for hours on end was over within a swift 15 minutes of play.

The full compliment

UCL Men’s 1st’s 4 – 1 KCL Men’s 1st’s

1) Will Tizard 3 – 0 John Malynn
2) Achim Newrzella 3 – 2 Chris Waight
3) Greg Mason 3 – 0 Nikhil Shah
4) Josh Wong 3 – 0 Pragun Khemka
5) Callum Deakin 1 – 3 Alex Williams