GOOD WHILE IT LASTED: FRESHER’S REVIEWED

The Tab sums up Freshers’ Week 2012

London Tab London Tab News UCL Freshers Week

Friday evening- the official end of UCL Fresher’s Week 2012. Although events continue into next week it’s down to business with lectures starting for many first years on Monday and it’s back to routine for returning students.

The Tab has spent the week bringing you the latest from all the events that matter, and today we went to Fresher’s Fair and spoke to some students about their experiences of the week.

Abacus Society – a big hit at Freshers’ Week 2012

Although turnout couldn’t be confirmed many societies said that they had seen higher numbers than ever signing up. Between 300 and 350 new members have signed up for the ABACUS Society, who had such a successful first day that they had to source more chopsticks after the first batch were gone within six hours.

The Bridge Society meanwhile hope to treble their membership. A membership of 33 last year looks set to rise after 140 members signed up over the course of Fresher’s Fair according to Social Secretary Dougal Howard.

The official UCLU club nights meanwhile have had a mixed turn out. Wednesday’s ‘Club Neon’ event at Fabric and Sunday’s ‘Fresher’s Fiesta’ at KOKO sold out, although Monday night’s event at Fire in Vauxhall wasn’t as popular. One fresher suggested that Vauxhall was simply “too out of the way” for new students to want to venture to.

Next week’s events also haven’t sold out, with tickets still available for the ‘Skool Disco’ and the flagship Fresher’s Ball featuring Radio 1 DJ Greg James. Many students, both freshers and non-freshers who The Tab spoke to seemed unimpressed by the lack of major acts at fresher’s events.

The ‘Give It A Go’ events have also failed to sell out- although plenty of time remains before many of them take place. Next week sees the start of a number of society events and introductory meetings as GIAG fortnight kicks off and a number of society committee members expressed their delight at the enthusiasm of freshers at Fresher’s Fair on Thursday and Friday. The social secretary of the Musical Theatre society summed up the mood of many when he said that he was preparing for a “really intense week ahead”.

You can follow the best of that intense week here at The Tab with the conclusion of our Refreshers Diary, reviews of the best music and theatre, the hottest fashion on Gower Street and much more.