A Leeds Uni Student is walking 50 miles round Woodhouse Moor tomorrow

Theo Beckett will be walking 50 laps of the park tomorrow, to raise money for the Stroke Association

A University of Leeds student is walking 50 laps of Woodhouse Moor tomorrow to raise money for the Stroke Association.

Theo Beckett, a final year University of Leeds student studying medical sciences will be walking 50 miles around Woodhouse Moor, raising money for the Stroke Association.

No description available.

Theo Beckett, the final year medical sciences student fundraising for Stroke Association

The Stroke Association support people to help rebuild lives after a stroke, and offer “specialist support, research and campaigning,” made possible “with the courage and determination of the stroke community.”

With 1.3 million stroke survivors in the UK, the charity aim to help people when they need it most; in Theo’s case his granny unfortunately passed from a stroke. Theo hopes that by completing this incredible challenge, he will “feel as though [he’s] doing something.”

Theo, who will remain in Leeds for a further year studying a masters in either cancer biology or neuroscience revealed that Leeds has a special place in his heart, saying he is “addicted to the city at this point, and can’t leave.”

Pre-fundraiser nerves

When asked about pre-fundraiser emotions, he told The Leeds Tab that he is feeling “slightly nervous mixed with excitement,” and that the “support has been huge.”

He originally started fundraising with a target of £200, and currently has raised over £1800, which he described as “crazy,” adding that he is “feeling the pressure,” as he’s “never tried anything this hard.”

“There’s a slight doubt in my mind that it’s possible for me, I did practise a marathon distance, which felt good so I’m still pretty confident I’ll make it.

“I did the practise walk on the day my Granny died, it started off as just occupying my mind and giving me time to think.”

No description available.

Theo and his granny, who he is fundraising for on behalf of the Stroke Association

But Theo added that he has been walking long distances since the age of 18, and recently has got more into it. He hopes that by walking around the park he can “walk with friends, not have to carry food or water,” and is “hoping a load of drunk students in the park will give me a bit of encouragement.”

With Theo’s grandparents raising him, he has a “huge amount” of love for them and tells us that it is “just as much for my Grandad who’s having a really tough time at the moment as it is for my Granny.”

About the fundraiser

Theo will be walking 50 laps covering 50 miles around Woodhouse Moor tomorrow (Saturday, 12th June). He will be wearing a yellow t-shirt, and said that he will be “easy to spot and will probably look pretty much dead into the afternoon.”

He asks that people don’t overtake, as he is very competitive and doesn’t want to tire himself out too quickly, but welcomes all support, whether that’s from by-passers or students on the “p*ss-up in the park”, with “any encouragement throughout the day being greatly appreciated.”

199375496_3907226316041585_6149035591746641030_n.jpg (720×960)

The t-shirt Theo will be wearing tomorrow (look out for him!)

You can donate to Theo’s JustGiving page here, and offer your support and encouragement to him tomorrow (Saturday 12th June at Woodhouse Moor).

From the team at The Tab Leeds, we wish you the best of luck Theo!

Want to write for us? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTab_Leeds on Instagram or The Tab Leeds on Facebook.