Leeds Uni tells students not to come back to campus until further notice

There are some exceptions

Leeds Uni has told students not to come back to campus, in line with government guidance, until further notice.

There are, however, a few exceptions to this rule.

Students can come back to uni if they are already in Leeds, if it is better for their health and wellbeing, if they are coming from outside the U.K. and have already made travel plans, or if they study specific courses, such as Clinical and Social work programmes.

Students have also been told they will not be able to access campus facilities unless they have proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Asymptomatic (lateral flow) testing is now available to all students who don’t have coronavirus symptoms. Students are advised to take two tests , three days apart, avoiding interaction with other students until the second test has come back negative.

The emails to students have also said that any in-person teaching that has been put on their timetable will go back to being online until the Uni can be assured it is safe to resume face-to-face teaching.

First year student Isabel Bramley is disappointed and confused by the news, telling The Leeds Tab: “Until I get my rent money back, I will be back in Leeds”.

Another first year, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “These emails just seem to add to the idea that we, as students, are nothing more than income for the Uni.

“They don’t seem to care about us much as long as we keep paying rent”.

The emails suggest that more information will be available to students after the 18th of January.

(Updated: A previous version of this article said The University of Leeds hadn’t told students how they could get coronavirus tests prior to returning to campus. This information has now been included.)