Image may contain: Human, Person, Book, Library, Indoors, Room

All the things I wish I’d been told about University

This is one of the biggest challenges you’ll ever face

I was so excited to start uni that I wasn't even anxious; because everyone absolutely raved about how fantastic uni was, and how 'it’s the best years of your life' and shit. Obviously, I realise how stupid it was of me to get my hopes up, but I just couldn't imagine myself hating university, especially not here in Leeds. Literally, so many different types of people from uni's all over the country had told me how much they loved it – not a single negative review. And shit, I was mugged right off.

It was a shock to the system that I hadn't even thought about preparing for, and suddenly, I was in a rough place for the first time in a few years. I just wish I'd have anticipated how drastic the lifestyle change was.

So, I've managed to summarise the main things that fucked me over for the first few months of uni…

There's a lack of Northerners in Leeds

Image may contain: Woman, Poster, Advertisement, Face, Female, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person

Sounds stupid, I know, but I just expected most people at Leeds uni to be Northern. I speak with a solid Yorkshire accent (so I thought I'd be in my element in Leeds), but it turns out that any course mates that aren't from Hull or Manchester struggle to understand what I’m saying. I don't think my flatmates were impressed by the number of chicken nuggets I can consume either. Also, they've never heard of the word 'init' or chips, cheese and gravy. Madness.

The workload

Image may contain: Girl, Text, Desk, Female, Furniture, Table, Keyboard, Computer, Computer Keyboard, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Mobile Phone, Cell Phone, Phone, Electronics, Person, Human

God, I should've seen it coming, but since A-Levels never hit me quite as hard as they did everyone else, I thought Uni was going to be manageable.

Again, I was very wrong; the amount of reading I have to do each week before each seminar is more reading than I ever did at A-Level (and that doesn't even include essays either). I honestly just miss learning from a smart board and games of Kahoot. I've had someone tell me that their A-Levels were harder than their degree, which I know is all relative depending on the person, but I really allowed that to lure me into a false sense of security. I only have 8 hours of teaching a week, and I'm still fucking failing.

An apparent absence of 'best friend' moments

Image may contain: Night Life, Apparel, Clothing, People, Crowd, Club, Face, Accessories, Accessory, Sunglasses, Person, Human, Party

Everybody had always emphasised how fun uni was, and how you make your 'friends for life' and how 'they're literally the best years of your life' and such. Now, don't get me wrong, most the people I've met at uni are really lovely, but it's taken me 3 months to make proper friends, which is a struggle when you come from a small town where everyone knows each other. Yes, I should've anticipated this more, but I thought I was a friendly, easy-going person… turns out I come across as 'a bit too Northern' sometimes.

For a time, I felt completely estranged, since it seemed that everybody else was in their element, had friends to buy a house with next year and were genuinely living their best life. It made me miss my weird friends and shitty hometown more; I've been home every weekend since the start of uni because I just miss everyone and everything I love back home.

Literally ever fucker does drugs

I knew that unis (and particularly Leeds) were drug dens, but I didn't expect so many people to be crazy about it. Luckily, I have cool flatmates who don't do cocaine off the breakfast bar but my other course mate? Not so lucky. People literally scran ket for breakfast so that they can make it through a few hours of lectures. The drug culture here is very toxic and influential too. I don't want to @ anyone who does drugs, but please, just remember that they can be dangerous.

This is one of the biggest changes you'll ever face

I cannot emphasise this one enough; going to university is up there on the list of significant life changes. I was so worried that I was the only one who felt homesick and lost, and I got so depressed and anxious that I had to start my medication again (big up fluoxetine, we love you). And, you know what, that's ok. You're allowed to struggle and feel like shit and want to quit within the second week because you hate it so much. But, give it some time and, well, I'm reluctant to admit it, but it does get easier.

"FiRSt yEaR DOeSn'T COuNT"

Image may contain: Tin, Face, Party, Beverage, Drink, Human, Person

Erm, it kind of does (or at least at Leeds it does). Sure, the first year doesn't affect your final grade, but it turns out first year counts if you want to do a year abroad or in industry at some point – the grades you receive in your first year dictates which uni you’ll study at.

And, again, you do have to pass the first year to progress to the second.

I just wish people had told me that "yeah, the first year is more relaxed and doesn't count towards your degree grade, but it counts to an extent" instead of just "FiRSt yEaR DOeSn'T COuNT".

I was adamant that I was going to quit uni before Halloween, but it's now semester two, and I've just signed for a house next year with some amazing friends, and I feel so much happier. Again, just don't come to uni with crazy expectations like I did; it is ok to be apprehensive about moving to a different city away from home, with random people you've never met before and starting a degree in a subject you might only enjoy a bit. You don't know what else to do with your life and you just don't want to disappoint your parents.

You've just got to push through those few strange, boring weeks after Freshers. And just know that people do struggle with settling into university, and it's also more than ok if you drop out – just do what's best for you.

Image may contain: Leisure Activities, Glasses, Apparel, Clothing, Night Club, Lighting, Face, Accessories, Accessory, Sunglasses, Club, Night Life, Person, Human, Party

These moments make the shit ones worth it